Smoky Chipotle Vegetarian Burger Recipe - Made with Tofu
Vegetarian burgers do not have to be dull. Spice them up a little with smoky chipotle flavor for a tasty change of pace. Sauteed onions and garlic add flavor; veggies and oats add nutrition and fiber. A touch of whole wheat flour on the outside of the patties adds a wonderful crispy golden brown coating. Enjoy!
- 14 oz Tofu, Extra Firm
- 1 stalk Celery, Finely Chopped
- 1 Carrot, Grated
- 1 small Onion, Finely Chopped
- 3 cloves Garlic, Pressed or Finely Chopped
- 2 Heaping Tbsp Tomato Paste
- 1 cup Rolled Oats, Traditional (not quick oats)
- 2 Tbsp Weber's Chipotle Seasoning
- 2 Tbsp Tone's Liquid Smoke
- 1/2 cup White Whole Wheat Flour
- 1/8 - 1/4 cup Sunflower, Olive or Vegetable Oil
Why Do You Eat Veggie Burgers?
I eat veggie burgers becauseSee results without voting
- Drain extra firm tofu by removing it from the package and wrapping the block of tofu in paper towels. Set the wrapped tofu on a plate. Place another plate on top of the tofu. Place a can of vegetables on top plate for weight. Allow 20-25 minutes for liquid from the tofu to drain out.
- Heat a small amount of water in a skillet (about 1/4 cup) on high heat. Add finely chopped onion and pressed garlic. Saute in water until onion is translucent and water has evaporated.
- Place drained tofu in a bowl and crumble with your hands. The tofu should break easily into small pieces. Be sure that all of the tofu is well crumbled so that remaining ingredients will mix well.
- Add celery, carrots, tomato paste, rolled oats, chipotle seasoning, liquid smoke and onion/garlic mixture to tofu and mix.
- Heat oil in skillet on medium high heat.
- Place white whole wheat flour on a plate.
- Divide tofu mixture into 6 equal parts and shape into patties.
- Dredge each patty in flour so that all sides are coated.
- Fry each patty for 3 - 4 minutes on each side. They will be beautifully golden brown.
- Use two spatulas to flip patties to prevent breaking. One spatula will lift the patty; the other spatula will catch the patty as it is flipped and keep it from falling back on the skillet.
- Remove cooked patties from skillet and place on paper towels to remove excess oil.
- Enjoy your delicious Smoky Chipotle Vegetarian Burger as you would any other burger - with a bun, mustard, mayo, lettuce and tomatoes!
How to Drain Tofu
Drain extra firm tofu by wrapping the block in paper towels and placing on a plate. Top with another plate and a can of veggies to add weight. Let stand for 20-25 minutes before use.
How to Sauté Onion and Garlic in Water
Finely chop 1 small onion and press or finely chop 3 cloves of garlic.
The amount of water used to sauté onions and garlic should be just enough to cover the bottom of your pan to a depth of about 1/8 inch. Use 1/4 to 1/2 cup of water to sauté onions and garlic. The less water used, the better.
You are finished sauteing the onions and garlic when they are translucent and all of the water has evaporated from the pan. Remove quickly to prevent burning. Allow to cool while adding additional ingredients to tofu. Add onions and garlic last so they are cool for mixing.
Crumble Tofu with Your Hands
Place the block of drained extra firm tofu in a mixing bowl. Crumble with your hands until no large pieces of tofu remain.
Tomato Paste Replaces Eggs as a Binder
Traditional burger recipes call for eggs as a binder for the mix. Tomato paste provides a tangy refreshing flavor while also adding some color to these vegetarian burgers. Use a regular table spoon instead of a measuring spoon for adding tomato paste.
Add Celery and Carrot
Finely chopped celery provides a bit of a crunch to these veggie burgers. If you don't like crunchy celery, simply add the celery to onions and garlic when sauteing. The crunch will be removed, but the nutrition will remain.
One small carrot or 4-5 large baby carrots will yield about 1/2 cup of grated carrot. Carrots add Vitamin A, beta carotene, dietary fiber, and color to these nutritious burgers.
Add Traditional Long Cooking Rolled Oats
Rolled oats were a regular addition to my mother's ground beef burger mix. The oats provided additional bulk to the mix and made the ground beef go further. Over the years I have continued to add rolled oats to my own burger mixes as it does stretch the protein source and also keeps moisture in the burgers when cooking. These veggie burgers will come out juicy and flavorful!
This is my chipotle seasoning of choice. It has great, bold spicy flavor. Give it a try!
Liquid smoke adds wonderful smoky flavor to your vegetarian burger recipe.
Add Chipotle Seasoning, Liquid Smoke and Sauteed Onions and Garlic
This recipe is moderately spicy. If you prefer less spicy veggie burgers, add less chipotle seasoning. If you prefer them more spicy, add more.
Liquid smoke adds a great smoky flavor to your veggie burgers. 1 tablespoon is enough to give smoky flavor your veggie burgers.
Add cooled onions and garlic. Mix all ingredients well.
Heat Cooking Oil to Medium Heat
Choose a light oil like sunflower, extra virgin olive oil, or vegetable oil for frying your vegetarian burgers. Use oil sparingly to avoid adding to much fat and calories to your recipe. A light coating on the bottom of your skillet will work just fine.
Dredge Shaped Veggie Burger Patties in Flour
After mixing all ingredients well, divide tofu mix into 6 equal parts. Shape into patties. Dredge each patty into white whole wheat flour before frying. The flour adds extra nutrition (protein, fiber, carbohydrates) to your veggie burgers and will also allow them to fry to a beautiful, crispy golden brown.
Cook Vegetarian Burger Patties Until Golden Brown
After dredging tofu burger patties in white whole wheat flour, gently place burgers in skillet to fry. Cook for 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Flip gently to other side using 2 spatulas. Use one spatula to lift and stand the patty on one side. Catch the burger patty with the other spatula and gently place it back on the skillet to complete cooking.
Drain cooked patties on a plate lined with paper towels to remove excess oil. Serve as a vegetarian burger with a whole grain bun, lettuce, tomato, onion, pickle, mustard or mayo. Enjoy!
Preparing Tofu Veggie Burgers for Cooking
More by this Author
Typically made with white rice, the Spanish rice can be easily made with wholegrain brown rice. Adapted from my mother's recipe, this recipe for Spanish Brown Rice is simple and delicious!
Spicy Vegetarian Chili with Cabbage and Black Beans has all the flavor of traditional chili without the fat. This budget friendly recipe can feed 4 for less than $5 and is done in 20 minutes!
Learn useful strategies for coping with a lack of motivation if you are experiencing depression.