Smoothie Recipe: Sorrel, Mango and Blueberry Slush
If your looking for a delicious, healthy, and worthwhile smoothie recipe; you've found the right place. Today's signature ingredient is sorrel. For those of you who don't know what sorrel is, word to the wise, its awesomeness is not to be underrated. Sorrel (or Rumex Acetosa) is a perennial herb found in many regions around the world. Sorrel is a slender plant with green-reddish leaves which can blossom to become purplish flowers. We will be using these flowered portions in our smoothie. Sorrel is best known for having a citrusy flavor, similar to kiwis or strawberries. *Note: Yes, the sorrel leaf does contain small amounts of oxalic acid. Not enough to harm you however. Besides, heat treatment generally destroys oxalic acid. So, the dried and heat treated sorrel leaves we will be using have even less oxalic content. Then, if you choose to puree the leaves as I did...well...you do the math.
- Ice Cubes
- Dried Sorrel
- 2 cup(s) -- Mango (Frozen)
- 1 cup(s) -- Blueberries (Frozen)
- 2 to 3 Tbsp -- Sweetener (Honey, Condensed Milk)
- Ginger (Optional)
- Light Rum (Optional)
Keep in mind that the ingredients are subject to change and improvisation depending on what you have on hand. I am simply showing you how to blend different fruits and botanicals optimally with sorrel blossoms. Things to Note: 1.) As the banana will be the primary sweetener in your smoothie; you don't have to go overboard with the other sweeteners (honey, etc). 2.) Gingier will give your smoothie a nice little kick if done right (hint...don't just throw it in there). Furthermore, if you want to give your smoothie a really good kick (like a daiquiri), feel free to add a light rum. At the end, your final ingredient list should look something like the picture you see below (more or less).
- After you have all you ingredients, as a little bit of pre-work take your dried sorrel leaves and boil them in about 2 to 2.5 cups of water on high heat for five minutes. Wait till sorrel concoction cools or freeze it before proceeding with further use.
- Put your ice cubes into the blender, and if possible set you blender to "ice crush" to crush the ice cubes into fine pieces. Depending on how efficient your device is, you may have to add a little water to effectively do this.
- Add all other ingredients one by one and start blending vigorously until all components are at a smooth uniform consistency.
- When it is time to add the sorrel, it is advisable to strain the sorrel concoction so that you don't get too many sorrel leaves into you smoothie. A few leaves are fine but what you really want is the water you boiled the sorrel in. Add this to the smoothie.
- As with the sorrel, if you choose to use the ginger it is advisable that you strain and add the "ginger water" instead of the raw ginger root itself.
- Lastly, because we are using so many fruits, berries and flowers; this smoothie can potentially have a lot of gritty residue. To reduce this, source as many seedless items that you can and also blend the entire concoction thoroughly for 2 to 3 minutes.
|Serving size: 2 cups|
|Calories from Fat||9|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 1 g||2%|
|Saturated fat 0 g|
|Unsaturated fat 1 g|
|Carbohydrates 31 g||10%|
|Sugar 23 g|
|Fiber 4 g||16%|
|Protein 2 g||4%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
More by this Author
Hub answering the question why do courts use Courtroom sketch artists. Given the presence of digital technology why does courts employ sketch artists to visually capture court proceedings.
A general how-to article about removing glue from suede items. Removing glue and super glue from suede couches, shoes, carpets, curtains, etc. Follow these simple steps to remove glue stains as well
Cemeteries are starkly different from other enterprises. To start one involves a great deal of investment. To maintain one involves eternal commitment. All the while, you as the owner, must manage the expectations of of...
No comments yet.