Smothered Steak in Gravy
This recipe for smothered steak can be served over rice or noddles. It's an easy recipe that can be on the table in about an hour from start to finish.
- 1 1/2 - 2 lb. rounds steak sliced into strips
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1 large onion sliced
- 1-2 green peppers sliced
- 1 16 oz. can diced tomatoes (with juice)
- 1 lb. fresh mushroom sliced
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 10 oz. pack frozen green beans (french cut)
- Combine flour, salt and pepper
- Coat beef strips with flour mixture and brown in a non-stick skillet. If it starts to stick, add a little water as needed.
- Cook beef for about 5 minutes before adding other ingredients.
- Add peppers and onions. Cook for another 5 minutes. Stir often.
- Add mushrooms.
- When mushrooms start to release liquid, add tomatoes, molasses and soy sauce.
- Add frozen green beans in the last 10 minutes.
- Sauce will thicken. If it becomes too thick, add a little water.
- Serve over noodles or brown rice.
Crock Pot Smothered Steak
If you would prefer to create this dish in a crock pot, follow these directions:
- Put steak strips, flour, salt and pepper in crock pot. Stir well to coat steak.
- Add all remaining ingredients.
- Cover and cook on high for 1 hour.
- Turn to low for 8 hours (or high for 5 hours).
Serve over rice or noodles.
Cut Prep Time
To cut prep time, slice vegetables ahead of time and refrigerate. This will reduce the time for making this meal to just about a half an hour. Steak smothered in gravy and fresh vegetables is an attractive savory dish that can be tweaked to fit your family's preferences. If they don't like mushrooms, leave them out. If they don't like peppers, replace them with carrots.. This recipe serves 8.
- Beef brisket recipes
How to make beef brisket.
- Easy Stir Fry Recipes - Pepper Beef with Bok Choy Recipe
Easy Stir Fry Recipes - Pepper Beef with Bok Choy Recipe
More by this Author
If you want to build a bird cage, you need a plan, materials and one more thing...a knowledge of birds and their special needs.
Most people know basics of the history of Thanksgiving, but you may be surprised to learn that not everyone agrees when the first Thanksgiving was celebrated or even where it was celebrated.
Baby cockatiels grow from an inch-long hatchling to adult size in just six weeks. It takes 8-10 days for their eyes to open, but the color of their eyes...even closed eyes offer a clue as to the baby's future color.