Snack ideas for a senior citizen
Making snacks for senior citizens
I am my 95 year old Mom's full time caregiver so I'm well versed in making snacks for senior citizens. At 95, Mom is on an appetite enhancer so she is always hungry - I make at least 5 small snacks a day. Since variety is the spice of life (and the way to keep a senior citizen snack-happy), I've gotten pretty creative with making snacks for her. I'm hoping you'll get some good ideas from this article. Please leave me comments at the bottom and any suggestions you may have for making snacks for senior citizens.
And to see more of my ramblings about 95 year old Mom come visit my blog: Travels (or lack thereof) with Gertie. If you're looking for something good to watch on tv, come visit my blog: Good Movies for Senior Citizens where Mom rates movies in "arthritic fingers up."
Dessert shooters snack ideas for senior citizens
My Mom quickly bores of the same old snacks so I've gotten pretty good at coming up with creative snack ideas, like dessert shooters - mini desserts served in shot glasses. In fact, I've gotten so good at creating dessert shooters, I have my own website: DessertShooters.com. Please come visit and see additional dessert shooter ideas.
Here's a few ideas though to get you started making dessert shooters for the elderly:
Note: The best dessert shooters contain different textures; this makes them more interesting than just mushy desserts.
- Berry berry good dessert shooter: Cut a pound cake in small squares (freeze the leftovers for future dessert shooters). Add some graham cracker crumbs to the bottom of a 2-5 ounce glass. Add in 5 or 6 cubes of pound cake and top with fresh sliced strawberries, raspberries or blueberries. Top with a dollop of whipped cream and a sprinkle of graham cracker crumbs. If you have more room in the dessert shooter glass, add another layer of all 4 ingredients. Finish with a sprinkle of graham cracker crumbs and a cherry on top.
- Oatmeal raisin dessert shooter: Crumble an oatmeal raisin cookie and add a small layer to the bottom of the dessert shooter glass. Add in a small amount of vanilla ice cream and squirt a bit of chocolate sauce on top. Add in more oatmeal raisin crumbs, ice cream and top with whipped cream. Sprinkle with additional oatmeal raisin crumbs. Put 5 raisins in the middle of the dessert shooter and serve.
Come visit me at GoodGiftsForSeniorCitizens.com
- Day Clocks! - Good Gifts For Senior Citizens
Day clocks make a perfect gift for a senior citizen who might wonder (a few times a day....), 'What day is it.' Day clocks tell the day of the week!
Some things to remember when making snacks for senior citizens
We're at a stage in my Mom's life where I give her anything she want for a snack; we're not as interested in nutrition as we are in keeping her happy. She has no large health issues that prevent her from eating sugar, carbs, etc but make sure you're aware of any dietary restrictions your senior citizen may have. The below are some things I've figured out along my caregiver path:
- Cut snacks in small pieces to make it easy to eat and to preserve what teeth there are left. Poor Mom just lost her second tooth the other day. Shoot.
- Add textures to make snacks more interesting. For example, add mini marshmallows to jello before it sets or crush oreo cookies in a bit of vanilla ice cream.
- Serve snacks in oversize bowls to make it less messy to eat. Use large napkins to cover the lap of your senior citizen to preserve clothing.
- Keep small sized puddings, ready made jellos or bread puddings in the refrigerator for the quickest snacks.
- Whipped cream is always a nice touch so keep a can in the refrigerator. My Mom really likes the new chocolate whipped cream that's on the market.
Snack Ideas on Amazon.com
Some snack ideas for senior citizens
The below are some of my Mom's favorite snacks. When presenting snack ideas, I always make sure to give her at least two choices - that way, she gets to make her own choice and is in control of what she gets.
Apples and peanut butter. Make sure to cut the apple pieces in small sections. I also peel the apples as senior citizen digestive systems might not be as functional as those in younger people.
A handful of peanuts. Just a small handful is really all my Mom will want so that's about the easiest snack ever.
Any type of cookie your senior citizen friend prefers. My Mom is a nut for vanilla wafers as they remind her of the cookies of her youth so I always make sure to have at least one box in reserve. Oatmeal raisin cookies are nutritious and delicious so they're always a good option.
Small candies. Two of the smallest snack size candies keeps Mom smiling. Another easy snack. If your senior has sugar-related dietary restrictions, consider some of the wonderful sugar-free candy alternatives. They're really good.
Hard boiled eggs. I always have 2 or 3 ready-to-peel hard boiled eggs in the refrigerator. For an interesting twist to a snack, I'll make egg salad and put it on crackers. Top with a piece of basil and you'll have a happy senior citizen and a healthy senior citizen snack too.
Cottage cheese and fruit. Dole makes a very nice individual cottage cheese with fruit on the size. Mom has a hard time eating out of the container though so I'll mix the two in a larger bowl and serve her half, reserving the other half for the next day.
Some good books about caregiving
My favorite book. I wish I'd had this book before I became my Mom's caregiver 5 years ago.
Dessert shooter snacks for senior citizens
- How to make a dessert shooter everyone will love « Seekyt
Learn how to make a dessert shooter everyone will love and you'll have happy dinner guests! Picture this - you've just served a delicious dinner but it was a bit heavy and ...
- Dessert Shooters - The new mini-dessert craze!
Dessert Shooters those mini-desserts you see on most restaurant menus these days are usually served in small glasses, some as small as 2 oz shot glasses up
- Key Lime Pie Dessert Shooters
Dessert shooters are simply mini desserts served in small glasses, such as shot glasses or even jelly jars. The key to the best dessert shooter is to use th
More by this Author
I am the self-proclaimed queen of the dessert shooter - mini desserts served in shot glasses. I started experimenting with these dessert shooters a few years ago when I realized that large desserts were too big for my...
Everyone likes to feel clean and refreshed and the elderly are no exception. It might take a bit more work to keep them feeling fresh but it's worth it in the long run. You'll be rewarded with a lot of smiles and a...