Best Potato Soup Recipes And Potatoes In Movies
So Many Potato Varieties, So Many Soup Recipes
Pearldiver asked about potato soup, what kind of potatoes are to be used and whether the skins or jackets of the potatoes should be removed or left in tact.
I've made potato soup from a number of varieties of whole and mashed potatoes, with jackets on, partially on, and completely denuded. Experimenting with different styles of preapration and combinations of potatoes in your own area will yield a range of good results.
Using more than one type of potato in a soup can also be accomplished to provide a range of textures and flavor combinations. The possibilities are many, but a few are listed here for your potato enjoyment. Small potatoes cook more quickly than do large potatoes, so cutting large ones to resemble the size of smaller ones, or adding smaller potatoes after larger ones are partially cooked are good means of eliminating the possibilty of overcooked spuds.
The Vital Potato
Potatoes have been a vital food source for many centuries. Before the potato famines in Ireland and Scotland, they were one of the only food sources available to the crofters (like tenant farmers). When the starving people moved or were sent to America, they took up potato farming here as well. Michigan, Iowa, and California are all famous for their potatoes, and these root vegetables are grown in other places as well, incuding Asia.
Potato Varieties: Potato Association of America - list, descriptions, and photos.
HISTORIC CHILDREN'S RHYME
One potato, two potato, three potato, four,
Five potato, six potato, seven potato more.
Icha bacha, soda cracker,
Icha bacha boo.
Icha bacha, soda cracker, out goes Y-O-U!
Did you know that poatoes have been the premise for a number of films since the early 1900s?
Potato Film Stars
Potatoes in Film History
- All Hot (1902) aka "A Potato Bake in the Woods"
- A Potato Skyscraper (1917)
- Potato Is King (1917)
- A Hot Potato (1927)
- Romance of the Potato (1939)
- One Potato Two Potato (1957)
Directed by Leslie Daiken. Film of 1950s childhood games and summer.
- One Potato, Two Potato (1964)
Directed by Larry Peerce. With Barbara Barrie, Bernie Hamilton, Richard Mulligan.
Hot Potato (1976)
- Potato Fritz (1976)
- Dým bramborové nate (1977) aka "Smoke on the Potato Fields"
- Prazdnik pechyonoy kartoshki (1977) aka "Feast of the Baked Potato"
- Eventyret om den vidunderlige kartoffel (1985) aka "The Tale of the Wonderful Potato"
- Battle of Mashed Potato Mountain (1989)
- Pogrzeb kartofla (1990) aka "Burial of a Potato"
- The Potato Hunter (1990)
- Lin shi yan yuan (1992) aka "Small Potato"
- How Do They...? How Do They Make Potato Chips? (1997)
- The Potato Factory (2000)
- Sex Lives of the Potato Men (2004)
- A Potato Chip Tale (2004)
- Potato Man (2004)
- Potato Soup (2006)
- Elroy: The Potato Head Boy (2006)
- Enormous Nuclear Potato (2007)
- The Killer Robots and the Battle for the Cosmic Potato (2009)
- Prokletstvo Krumpira (2010) aka "The Curse of Potato" - Croatia
Your Opinion, Please!
Chunky Idaho Potato Cheese Soup
Serves 6 to 8
- 1/4 Cup butter (or olive oil)
- 4 green onions, sliced thin
- 4 Large Idaho potatoes, skins left on
- 1 Qt chicken broth
- 1.5 Cups shredded white cheese - Swiss, white cheddar, white American, or combination (not Mozzarella or Muenster, because each is too elastic).
- 2 Cups of 2% milk
- Salt and pepper
- Bake potatoes partially in an oven at 375 degrees F for 30 minutes. Remove, allow to cool, and peel half of each potato skin away and discard. Chunk potatoes to one inch-cubes.
- In a soup pot or Dutch Oven, add butter and melt over medium heat.
- Add sliced green onion and saute until soft.
- Pour in chicken broth and add chunked potatoes. Bring to the boil and reduce heat to simmer. Cook for 15 minutes.
- Taste and add salt and pepper as needed.
- Add shredded cheese and milk alternately and stir constantly.
- Taste and re-season after cheese and milk are well combined into the soup.
- Simmer 5-10 minutes or until potatoes are very soft abnd soup is desired thickness, and serve. Smash a few of the potato cubes during this cooking stage, if you like.
Variations: Substitute your favorite yellow chees(es) for the white cheese. I like to also throw in a few small red potatoes with their jackets on, with the final milk and cheese addition - just stick them with a fork first to lessen cooking time). Some cooks like to crumble bacon on top of each individual bowl of soup and some like to serve additional sliced green onions for garnish,
Simple Irish Dinnertime Soup
- 6 Medium sized white potatoes (Irish or Michigan will be fine)
- 1 Large white onion
- 6 Cups skim milk
- 1Tbsp butter or olive oil
- Chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Wash potatoes, peel and dice.
- Peel and chop onions.
- Melt butter in a soup pot over low heat and sweat the onions.
- Raise heat to medium, add potatoes, and cook until just soft.
- Add milk, season, and simmer 5 more minutes.
- Serve in bowls with parsley garnish.
Potato Vegetable Soup
- 6 Slices thick bacon or fresh side meat (ask your butcher)
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 Cup chopped onion
- 1/2 Cup chopped carrots
- 1 Large rib celery, chopped
- 4 Cups chicken broth
- 4 Cups cubed potatoes - any kind or combination
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 Cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 tsp kosher or sea salt
- Wash potatoes, peel and dice; peel and chop onions; chop celery,
- Cook bacon in a soup pot until crisp, remove and drain bacon well. Discard bacon grease and wipe pot with paper towel.
- Add olive oil to pot and add onions, carrots, and celery. Saute until onion is just soft.
- Stir in chicken broth, potatoes, and pepper. Stit well.
- Bring pot to the boil and reduce heat to simmer; cover pot and cook until potatoes are tender - 15 minutes.
- Stir in shredded cheese, heating through only until cheese is completely melted.
- Chop bacon, garnish individual bowls, and serve.
© 2010 Patty Inglish
More by this Author
Because of the rising costs of even ground beef in the USA, and owing to the dislike of "pink slime" beef fillers, more Americans are choosing fish for dinner. Why is salmon a top choice?
- EDITOR'S CHOICE4
This is a good-tasting soup for winter that will make you feel warm and satisfied with good food. This recipe can be made with other forms of delicious squash as well. Video recipes included.
- EDITOR'S CHOICE243
If you watch CSI and CSI Miami on television, you are watching criminology at work. Criminology is an important science in the field of sociology that can help prevent future crimes and help prisons become...