Southern Cooking , Collard Greens
Collard Green Tips
1. When you cut up your collard greens be sure to cut them up into very small pieces and be sure to discard any large stems.
2. For the best tasting collard greens try to buy them in season at your local farmers market.
3. One large bunch of collard greens should be enough collard greens when cooked to feed six people.
4. Wash your cut up greens at least 3-4 times and drain them well in a colander before you put them on to cook.
5. Sugar or no sugar is often the question when cooking collard greens. In my recipe on this page I don't add sugar but you can if you like add a tablespoon of sugar to the recipe.
6. I think you will find that fresh collards will taste their best when purchased September thru March.
7. Keep a pair of scissors in your kitchen to cut up things like collard greens.
8. I love to serve both deviled eggs and boiled eggs along with my collard greens.
9. Corn Bread goes especially well with collard greens.
Collard Greens Recipe
For this collard green recipe you will want a large bunch of collard greens and you'll want to cut the leafs up in very small pieces with a pair of kitchen scissors. Cut your collards up in small pieces and wash your greens very well with water to get rid of any dirt. Rinse your greens several times to be sure they are especially clean.
Now you'll want to add your cut up collard greens to a large stock pot. Just cover your collard greens with water and then to the pot your going to want to add the below.
1. 1/2 Pound of Chopped Up Smoked Meat from cooked Ham Hocks.
You'll want to boil your ham hocks in a pot and remove the meat from the ham hocks to add to your collard greens.
2. 1 Teaspoon Salt.
3. 1 Teaspoon Black Pepper.
4. 1 Teaspoon Powdered Garlic.
5. 1 Tablespoon Seasoned Salt.
6. 1 Teaspoon Ground Cayenne Pepper.
7. 1 Teaspoon Dry Parsley.
Now you want to bring your stock pot of collard greens to a boil and then reduce heat to medium and cook for about two hours until your greens are tender and the liquid is reduced at least by half.
Your collard greens are now ready to be served. I suggest serving your collard greens with cornbread. Some people love to eat their collard greens served over a huge slice of corn bread along with some freshly cut up sweet yellow onion and buttermilk. Oh my but I'm getting hungry now.
Some people like to serve their collard greens with hot pepper , vinegar , diced sweet onion , and sliced fresh tomatoes. I myself like to mix diced sweet onion with vinegar and serve them on top of my collard greens.
Southern folklore says that if you place a collard leaf above your door it will keep evil away and some people have made the claim that placing a collard leaf on your forehead will cure a headache.
Have you ever had collard greens? How did you like them. Please post your comments , tips , suggestions , or questions below now. And thanks for reading my hub page.
More by this Author
Do you want to know how to make the World's Best Meatloaf. Well guess what here is the recipe for the World's Best Meatloaf and yes it really is that wonderful. Oh so yummy.
Here is one of the best pork chop recipes ever. Once you taste these breaded baked pork chops I think you will agree.
If you want to know exactly how to grow a vegetable garden here is all the information you will ever need.