Soy- THREAT In Disguise?. A "Must Know" Information Article.
Many of us are die hard users of Soy products... lot of it. Soy bars, soy protein, soy flour, soy biscuits, soy powder...you name it. Now, it has grown to a multi million dollar industry and I must say that big companies are masking the disadvantages with their cunning and deceptive advertisements.
If you are one of them, I am really sorry that Im gonna hurt your feelings. But I just can't walk away without making sure that u understand all the possible drawbacks of soy products.
I discourage anyone from continuous usage of soy products. So, lets get to the topic.
Disadvantages of Soy products:
- Presence of Phytoestrogens: If you are not aware, Oestrogen is the female hormone. Phytoestrogen, which means plant based oestrogen, strongly matches the human counterpart. Continuous usage can lead to increase of the same in our blood stream. Now consider your son consuming soy products everyday. It is studied that this tends to suppress male characters and development.
- Infertility due to decreased sperm count: As we discussed above, the same reason can effect the inhibition of spermatogenesis(maturation of sperm cells) in the testes.
- Should never feed an infant with any kind of soy products.
- Hormonal imbalance in children: Studies has proven that the phytoestrogens in soy products have competition with enzymes that metabolise steroids and other biological compounds.
- Menstrual irregularities: The increased level of oestrogen can manipulate the menstrual cycle in women.
- Pregnant women must not consume soy produts.
- Contains hemagglutinin: It is a substance that causes blood cells to coagulate or agglutinate. In turn, this may promote clot formation and inhibit oxygen intake by RBCs.
All these above told facts are still on controversy, and this article is aimed for a general information.
If you need to take soy products, you may, but take care not to overdo the amount of it. Studies are still being conducted to reveal the long term disadvantages of soy usage. It is interesting that big companies are upholding the benefits of soy, but not even a word about the ill effects.