Spaghetti With Red Clam Sauce Simple Recipe
Fun and Healthy!
My grandchildren love pasta and especially spaghetti. They love to twirl it and suck up the strings so the sauce splashes all over their faces. It's messy but it makes for loads of fun and laughter at Nana's table. With all this going on, it is hard to get them to eat the meatballs served with the traditional spaghetti dinner. My daughter and I were concerned that they were not eating enough protein.
Then it hit me, why don't I make my clam sauce and serve it over spaghetti instead of linguini pasta. Guess what, it worked! They didn't notice the difference. The minced clams added the protein and everybody was happy.
Following is a simple easy recipe for Spaghetti with Red Clam Sauce.
- 3 tbls of Olive Oil
- 1 lb of spaghetti
- 1 13oz can of minced clams
- 1 16 oz can of tomato paste
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 large onion, chopped
- red pepper flakes (optional, not recommended for children)
- Parmesan cheese
- Salt to taste
- In a large pot, bring salted water to a boil and add spaghetti...cook to al dente (a little hard). Drain and add oil or a little butter so it doesn't stick.
- In a large sauce pan saute chopped onion in olive oil until onion is clear.
- Add tomato paste and water to onions, stir until bubbly.
- Add salt to taste. (pepper flakes optional)
- Simmer for 25 minutes.
- Add minced clams to sauce.
- Pour sauce over spaghetti.
- Top with Parmesan cheese.