Spiced Baked Pork Chops - and Creamy Mash Potato
- Did you know that pork has more protein than chicken?
- It is also high in zinc B vitamins and iron.
- Pork is the most widely eaten form of meat globally
- Were you aware that an average pig can eat a ton of food every year? Perhaps that is why some people say "he eats like a pig"
- An American may consume 50 pounds of pork on average each year.
- Pigs roll in mud to prevent sunburn and to keep cool.
- There are twice as many pigs as people in Denmark.
Rate This Recipe
Easy to Prepare
- This recipe is one of those great stand-by dishes that don't take a lot of preparation. It is one of our favorites.
- Pork forequarter chops are relatively inexpensive and as long as you keep the dry ingredients on hand in your pantry you will always be prepared.
- You can stretch this dish further because of the amount of tasty sauce which is great with potato or pasta, even rice or crusty bread.
- This dish is for those of us not afraid of a little fat and well all I can say is that pork fat is one of the nicest. If you are tempted to trim all the fat off the chops then perhaps this dish isn't for you.
- The sauce is spicy but it is not hot by any means despite the addition of curry powder. If you would like it hotter I suppose you could add more curry or chop up a chilli.
- The recipe is perfect for winter time and can be on your dinner table in around 3 hours.
- Most of this time is spent in the oven and gives you time to relax with family.
Preparation and Cooking Time
Measuring cup (8 oz standard)
- 2kg Pork forequarter chops
- 6 tablespoons Plain flour
- 4 tablespoons Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon Mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon Curry powder
- 1 teaspoon All spice
- 8 tablespoons Tomato sauce
- 8 tablespoons Vinegar
- 4 x 8oz cups Water
- Sprigs of parsley, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degree
- Trim the chops of excess fat but leave most on as this is what keeps the meat tender and tasty. When the oven is up to temp, pop the chops into a roasting pan (you won't need oil) big enough to hold them in one layer and bake for around 20 minutes until browned
- While the chops are browning combine all the dry ingredients in a bowl and then slowly add the water, vinegar and tomato sauce to make a thick sauce. Stir well with a whisk to combine.
- Once the chops are browned, turn the oven down to 150-160 degrees, and transfer the chops to a large casserole dish with a lid. Pour the sauce over the chops, cover with the lid and place back in the oven to cook for 2 hours.
- After the 2 hours the chops should be very tender and falling off the bone. Serve the chops and spicy sauce with parsley sprinkled over with mashed potatoes and vegetables.
Creamy Dreamy Mash
There are a number of things you must do to make sure your mash potato is creamy and not a gluggy mess on the plate.
- Choose potatoes that are suited for mash eg Coliban, Desiree, Kipfler and Pontiac are usually readily available from your supermarket.
- After peeling them, gently boil with lid off until really soft in plenty of salted water. This is important as it does make a difference to the taste of the mash.
- Drain really well then mash while still piping hot with a masher or a fork to remove all the lumps.
- Add butter or margarine next and beat with a wooden spoon until the butter has melted.
- Add milk or better still, cream. Beat again with wooden spoon.
- Taste it. Add more salt, or milk if needed and keep hot until ready to serve.
The ingredient and quantity list for mash is below.
Mash Potato Ingredients
- 1 large or 2 small potatoes per person (more if you want leftovers) peeled and cut in half
- enough water to cover the potatoes
- about a teaspoon of salt
- the quantity of butter and milk/cream is really down to personal taste and any dietary requirements. I do not eat dairy so I use Nuttlex, a vegetable blend and either soy or almond milk and they all work really well.
More by this Author
Stuck for an unusual and inexpensive first wedding anniversary gift? These ideas will spark your imagination.
Tips from a chef on how to make the best and easiest omelette.
Finding quality friends is not easy. Showing that you can be a loyal friend using these tips can often be enough to attract good friendships to yourself.
No comments yet.