Spicy Curry Mee (Curry Laksa) Recipe That Will Not Disappoint You
Malaysia's Mee Kari
This spicy Curry Mee or Curry Noodle is loaded with flavor and I must warn you, it can be addictive. It may have a long list of ingredients and will take a while to prepare, but trust me, it is worth the effort.
For this recipe I use the easily available pre-prepared curry powder instead of preparing it from scratch. Hence, this will not only save some considerable time, but is also easy and convenient.
If you want to reduce the hot and spicy taste, you can opt not to use the chilli paste.
Curry Mee is an all-time Malaysian favorite dish and is uniquely Malaysian as it is a marriage of Chinese noodles and Indian curry.
Malaysia, a multiethnic and multicultural country has several of its favorite dishes that combine common food ingredients from its three main ethnic groups, the Malays, the Chinese and the Indians.
As the name implies, Curry Mee or Mee Kari in our Malaysian language, is a noodle based food in curry sauce. In some parts of Malaysia, it is known as Curry Laksa, which is milder and not so hot and spicy.
Try it and you will love it.
Curry Mee Recipe Rating
A. Ingredients for the Best Curry Mee Recipe
- 1 packet (500g) fresh yellow noodles, lightly blanched
- 6 pieces chicken breast, skin removed
- 200g bean sprouts, trimmed & lightly blanched
- 3 stalk kai choy (Chinese mustard/sawi), cut into 2-inch pieces and lightly blanched
- 1 packet fish balls (about 10 pieces), cut each fish ball into halves
- 1 packet fish cakes (about 4 pieces), slice into several pieces
- 200 gm medium sized prawns, parboiled and shelled. Keep prawn broth for use later
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, halved
- 3 calamansi lime (limau kasturi), halved
- 1 stalk spring onion, finely sliced
- 500g clams, blanched, then remove the shell
- 2 pieces tofu (tahu) or bean curd, cut to 6 slices, then fry until slightly golden color
- 3 tablespoon dried shrimps, soak in hot water for about 10 minutes, then pound or blend
- 6 pieces tofu puffs
- 6 tablespoon sambal (optional), you can use the ready-made sambal sold in bottles or make one yourself
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) vegetable oil
B. Ingredients for the Curry
- 3 tablespoon curry powder (you can use any curry powder, but I prefer fish curry powder from Baba)
- 1 tablespoon tamarind paste (then mix with 5 tablespoon of hot water. Sieve and keep aside this tamarind water)
- 1 inch (2.5 cm cinnamon stick)
- 1 star anise
- 2 cardamom
- 3 cloves
- 2 tbsp. chili paste, (only if you like your Curry Mee hot and spicy)
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 5 curry leaves
- 1 stalk Vietnamese mint (daun kesum)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- salt to taste
C. Ingredients to be Blended and use in the Curry
- 2 stalk lemongrass, slice bottom thirds into rings
- 1 inch (2.54 cm) ginger, peeled and thickly sliced
- 1/2 inch (1.27 cm) galangal (lengkuas), peeled and thickly sliced
- 5 shallots (red onions), peeled and halved
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and halved
- 2 medium onions, peeled and thickly sliced
Instructions for Curry Mee
- Mix curry powder with the tamarind water. Put it aside.
- Blend all the ingredients in item "C" (lemongrass, ginger, galangal, shallots, garlic, onion) until fine.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large pot and stir fry the cinnamon stick, cloves, star anise and cardamom until fragrant (about 3 minutes). Then, add the ingredients that were blended earlier, and fry till light brown
- Add in the curry powder/tamarind water paste and the chilli paste. Stir fry for about 4 minutes or when oil separates (pecah minyak). Then, add the pounded dried shrimps and fry for another minute
- Next, add in the chicken pieces and curry leaves and stir for another 5 minutes
- Then, slowly pour the 3 cups of the prawn broth and bring it to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for another 15 minutes
- Add in the fish balls, fish cakes, tofu puffs and daun kesum (Vietnamese mint), brown sugar and salt to taste and the 2 cups of coconut milk and bring it to a boil.
- Place the blanched bean sprouts, clams, prawns, kai choy, boiled eggs, the finely chopped spring onions, calamansi lime and sambal in compartment serving dish
- Divide the blanched yellow noodles into three different bowls. Pour the curry soups with chicken pieces, fish balls and fish cakes into these bowls.
- Then, topped with the blanched bean sprouts, clams, prawns, halved boiled eggs and spring onions.
- Squeeze the calamansi lime if desired. Add sambal for the added hot and spicy flavor
- Serve immediately
Some of the Ingredients Again in PhotoClick thumbnail to view full-size
Try Other Asian Noodle Recipes from this Great Book
Other Versions of Curry Mee Recipe
Curry Mee is a very versatile dish and you can add other ingredients to suit your taste.
You can add meat instead of chicken. For a 100% seafood version, use prawns, squids and clams as the main ingredients.
You can also swap the yellow noodles with rice vermicelli (mee-hoon) or kway teow, the flat & thick rice noodles. Although these are the alternatives, personally I think yellow noodle is the best for Curry Mee.
Anyway, be adventurous and give it a go.
Simple and Quick Curry Mee Recipe
If you love Curry Mee and do not have the time to prepare using this recipe, then try my other version that uses Instant Noodles for that quick and easy style.
Click on Simple Curry Mee Recipe Using Instant Noodle for the recipe.
Check Out My Other Recipe Hubs
- Another recipe that uses Instant Noodles: Simple Fried Noodles Recipe using Instant Noodles
- Can't get enough of Instant Noodles? Then check out Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe Using Instant Noodle
- If you love Banana Fritters, then you cannot go wrong with this version: Secret to Good Banana Fritters Recipe
- Another recipe that uses over-ripe banana: Easy Cekodok Pisang or Malaysian Mashed Banana Fritters Recipe using Overripe Bananas
Some of My Other Articles Related to Food
- Find out why Chicken Feet are rich in collagen here: Are There Any Benefits in Eating Chicken Feet?
- Tired of cooking and just want to watch cooking shows on TV or just read cook books, then check here for the best Food Books that you must have: The Best Food Books to Read or Give as Gifts
- What are the best foods to eat before and after a workout? Check here for the answers: Food for Exercising - Eating the Right Food for a Fitness Program
- Recipe and Video on how to do folded egg omelet: Easy Folded Omelet Recipe
© 2014 Mazlan
More by this Author
It sounds disgusting, but many swear on the health benefits of eating chicken feet, like curing joint pain an looking younger from the collagen content. Even dogs are fed with chicken feet. It's true!
Ayam masak kicap or chicken cooked in soy sauce recipe uses soy sauce, oyster sauce, tomato sauce & chili paste for a deliciously sweet & chilli hot flavor & is absolutely yummy, despite its color!
Studies on plants and music have proven that the right musical sounds can result in better growth. Find out how this process works and which music is most effective.