Spicy Thai Tuna Salad. Yum Tuna is Such an Easy 10 Minute Light Lunch
The start of a Thai meal???
Can’t take another tuna sandwich lunch? Hijack that can of tuna fish away from the everyday and bring a taste of Thailand to your lunch table using things you most probably have in your kitchen pantry anyway.
This dish may sound like some kind of tamed down Readers Digest take on Thai cooking, but read down the ingredient list to the part that calls for 5 Thai bird chilies and you'll feel more assured of its authenticity.
And it is the real deal, and it's certainly something that might make for a quick an easy lunch at any table in Thailand – and with a plate of Jasmine rice it makes for a very satisfying (and very healthy) light lunch or dinner.
Thai Spicy Tuna Salad
- 1 can of oil packed tuna
- ½ of a red or sweet pepper cut into a small dice
- ¼ cup of green peas (fresh or canned…or frozen)
- ½ of a small carrot, diced finely
- 1 green onion (slice it into half inch sections)
- 1 celery rib chopped
- 4 Tbls of fresh lime juice (you should try to use Key limes if you can – Key limes are smaller and rounder…)
- 3 Tbls of fish sauce
- 1 tsp of sugar
- Pinch of MSG
- 4-5 Thai bird chilies, finely minced (this will make it pretty spicy – if you don’t like hot food, use less)
- Drain tuna from oil in can and flake into chunks in a bowl.
- Add sweet peppers, peas, carrots, green onion, celery and chili to the tuna and mix gently (you want the tuna to retain a slight chunkiness – so don't stir too vigorously.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the fish sauce, lime juice, sugar and MSG (optional) and pour over the tuna salad, mixing to coat gently.
- Serve garnished with cucumber slices and sliced wedges of raw white cabbage. With steamed jasmine rice this makes a very easy light lunch for 2.
This can be made with water packed tuna, but is much better with oil packed.
Feeling more ambitious? Here's a video recipe for Thai style squid salad.
More Thai Cooking!
- How to Make Larb Moo. Spicy Thai Ground Pork Salad
A great quick and easy Isaan Larb recipe. Thailand's famous spicy pork salad.
- Thai spicy papaya salad. Somtam is the perfect salad...
If there had to be one national dish of Thailand, this spicy papaya salad would certainly be in contention. You see somtam stands at every market, in front of convenience stores, on the back of pick up...
- Easy Thai Coconut Ice Cream Recipe. How to Make Thai...
Easy to make Thai style coconut milk ice cream. Just 3 ingedients - sugar, water and coconut milk!
- How to Make Thai Chicken with Cashew Nuts. An Easy a...
My mom loves Thai chicken with cashew nuts, and when she comes for her winter visits she probably eats it almost daily. It's just that good! And one great thing about this particular dish is that unlike many...
- Tom Yam Kung...hot and spicy Thai style shrimp soup....
www.blogchrisryu.com I know I've already called som tam the national food of Thailand, but this hot and spicy soup surely gives papaya salad a run for its money as the favorite dish in a nation of food...
More by this Author
A simple Thai clear soup with pork meatballs. Recipe and instructions.
An aurthentic spicy Thai chicken soup recipe with detailed instructions.
A lot of people have trouble with meat. They like the idea of a great steak, and they have a general notion that the more expensive the steak, the better it is…but more than that…who knows?! I...
No comments yet.