I Don't Want a Pickle, All I Want ..... is a Spicey PICKLE RECIPE
- Prep time: 15 min
- Ready in: 15 min
- Yields: 1 quart
Spicy Seasonal Pickles
When Standard or Pickling Cucumbers are in Season we love to buy them regularly and eat them in Salads, on Sandwiches, and as appetizers with crackers.
But our favorite use of these fresh and cool delights is to make a nice combination of Cucumbers, Jalapeno Peppers, Onions, and a few select Spices in a mixture of Vinegar and Water. We then age the mixture for a few days, and attack them as snacks between meals, and even on our favorite sandwiches.
Now, these are not the processed and canned Pickles you buy in the Supermarket,
These are not meant to be sealed and stored for months.
Real Pickles usually have a lot of Salt, and are made using one of many specific process' that promote longer term storage
This recipe is a way to utilize fresh Cucumbers, add a lot of flavor, and keep them for many weeks as you eat through them,
Rate my Recipe Hub
- 6 Jalapeno Peppers, Large, Sliced
- 1 Banana Pepper, Large Sliced
- 1 Onion, Medium, sliced
- 7 oz. Pickling Cucumbers, Sliced
- 2 tsp. Garlic - Dill Seasoning
- 2 tsp. Salt
- 2 tbs. Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 tsp. Peppercorns, cracked or rough ground
- 3 Garlic Cloves, chopped
- 1 Liquid Mixture, Mix 50-50 White Vinegar and Water
Glass Spice Jars
- Wear Gloves to prepare the ingredients if you are smart. Otherwise you can end up spending the next several days with smelly hands. And ..... Keep them away from your eyes. I speak from experience!
- Slice the Jalapeno Peppers into rings, and remove the Seeds and the remaining ribs from the rings. Remember the seeds are the hottest part of the Pepper.
- Slice the Banana Peppers into rings.
- Slice the Onion into rings and tear the larger rings in half.
- Slice the Cucumbers into slices about 1/8-inch thick
- Place all of these ingredients into a quart container with a removable lid. For guests, I use a nice "old-style" glass canning jar, such as the one in the picture. For day to day, or to give to friends, I use a large plastic peanut jar with a lid, like the one in the other picture. Really, you just need a quart container with a wide mouth and a good top.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the jar, including the: Garlic and Dill Seasoning, Salt, Balsamic Vinegar, Peppercorns, and Garlic cloves.
- If the jar is not full, add more sliced Cucumbers.
- Pour a mixture of 50% White Vinegar and 50% Water to the Jar until all of the ingredients are covered.
- Place the cover onto the Jar and shake until all of the ingredients are mixed well, then sit the Jar aside (room Temperature or chilled in the Fridge) for 3-4 days.
Glass Pickle Jar
Serving & Eating
First off, this recipe needs time for the different flavors to inter-mix, and blend well, and I have found that this is usually the 3-4 days I mentioned.
And I usually turn the jar upside down and shake it once a day to keep this flavor blending active.
Once aged, just open the top and spear a couple of the Cucumber slices any time the urge hits you and enjoy. The Cucumbers will have a strong tart flavor at first, and about the time you have swallowed, the Spicy Heat from the Peppers and other ingrediants will follow.
Delicious is what I call them, and I believe you will also.
Now for the best part. When you see that you have eaten most of the Cucumbers, just add more and cover with mire of the Vinegar/Water mixture, cover shake well, wait 3-4 days to age them, and start eating these great Pickled Cukes again.
I have re-filled the same Jars over 4 times now, with no noticeable reduction in the Spicy flavors from the other ingredients.
Nutritional Information for a regular Cucumber
|Serving size: whole (3.5-oz. or 100g) cucumber|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 3 g||1%|
|Sugar 2 g|
|Protein 1 g||2%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
The great thing is that this is a healthy snack or appetizer, as you prefer, that goes great with cheeses and breads, is fantastic on sandwiches, and is relatively low in Calories, Fats and Sugars. (Just don't sit with a fork and eat the whole jar at one time).
A whole (3.5-oz. or 100g) cucumber has the following nutritional values shown in the table.
Using these numbers for a raw Cucumber, after soaking them in the mixture above will not change the values here very much, except for the Balsamic Vinegar, which, does have enough Sugar to raise that value some.
Go Crazy & Kick it Up!
Go Crazy, if you want!
Here are some suggestions to vary the flavors and/or foods pickled. I am sure you will come up with your own, after you try this Recipe and see how easy it is to make:
- Vary the Vinegar and Water mixture to control the Tartness.
- Remember the small amount of Balsamic Vinegar? Well, it has an overall effect on the flavor (and Sugar level, to a degree), so increase or decrease it's use to your personal taste.
- For the Brave, put some of the Jalapeno seeds into the mixture at the beginning. It not only kicks up the overall heat, but the seeds turn into little floating "flavor bombs" when they stick to the Cucumbers.
- I like the added Onion pieces, after they are pickled, but you can try other vegetables:
- If hard canning Pears are available, cut them into cubes or slices and pickle them along with the Cucumbers. They are really fantastic on Crackers as Appetizers or on Sandwiches.
- For the true Lover of Heat, slice a nice fresh Habanero Pepper, or any of the other high-power Peppers available at the time into the mixture. I have found, though, that the higher the temperature, the more people there are that will not eat the Cukes, so balance your flavors for your audience.
Use this Recipe, and Enjoy!
And, when you use this recipe, let me know what you think of it, as well as any modifications you may have used. I would be very interested.
How to make Dill Pickles
How to make Bread and Butter Pickles
© 2009 Don Bobbitt
More by this Author
This Shrimp Scampi recipe is a great yet simple way to make this wonderful dish. It is a robust and delicious comfort dish that anyone can make, and it includes the Nutritional breakdown.
This is a great, slightly spicy recipe for fried Tilapia. The recipe has enough added flavors to kick up the rather mild Tilapia fish fillet. It only takes a few minutes to prepare this entree.
RVs are big animals, and require a special attention when they get dirty. Read this and you will get some great ideas on how to keep your RV clean, cheaply and efficiently. It includes tips and planning methods that...