Spinach Feta Mushroom Burrito Recipe
One of my favorite ways to come up with new recipes is to think of some of my favorite dishes that I've had at local restaurants and try to recreate them at home. Sometimes it takes a few tries, but I always love the results and am thankful for the inspiration. This burrito was inspired by the spinach feta burrito at Urban Burrito in Asheville, North Carolina.
This burrito starts with rice and black beans but then leaves tradition far behind. Spinach, mushrooms, feta cheese, thyme, rosemary, and red wine give this wrap an exciting new flavor that works unexpectedly well in a burrito. Enjoy!
This recipe is vegetarian.
Spinach and Feta Burrito Recipe
makes six burritos
- 1 cup dried rice (brown or white)
- 6 flour tortilla wraps (whole wheat or white)
- raw baby spinach leaves
- salsa verde (green)
- feta cheese
- Mushrooms (2 cups when chopped), baby bella (crimini) or white button
- 1/2 a small sweet onion
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 fifteen-ounce can black beans
- 1/3 cup red wine
- a pinch of rosemary (preferably fresh and minced finely)
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
1. Prepare the rice using the instructions appropriate for its variety.
2. Wash the mushrooms and slice them evenly about a quarter inch thick. Measure them as you go until you have about two cups. Chop the onion coarsely.
3. About 15 minutes before the rice will be done, start cooking the filling and the beans. See instructions below.
For the filling: Warm a skillet (preferably well-seasoned cast-iron) over medium heat. Add the olive oil, then the onions when it is hot. Stir frequently so that the onions don't stick to the pan or burn. When the onions have started to turn translucent, add the mushrooms, thyme, and salt and pepper, and continue to stir frequently. When the mushrooms have started to brown and soften, remove from heat.
For the beans: Empty the beans into a pot. Add the wine, rosemary, and olive oil. Mix well and heat over medium until hot.
4. When the rice, filling, and beans are all done, warm the tortillas briefly in the oven or microwave. It is time to assemble the burritos. Spread some of the rice and beans in a tortilla, and sprinkle over it with the feta cheese. Put some salsa verde over that, and then cover with a generous serving of baby spinach leaves. Wrap tightly and serve. Enjoy!
More by this Author
This vegetarian okra gumbo with dark red kidney beans is wonderfully rich and hearty. Okra is sometimes a hard vegetable to use -- you have to use it correctly, and gumbo is one of my favorite ways to do so.
- EDITOR'S CHOICE246
Cooked incorrectly, tofu can turn out slimy and flavorless. My special method uses dry-frying and marinating, resulting in firm, flavorful tofu that leaves even meat-eaters impressed.
- EDITOR'S CHOICE10
Here you can learn what each of the potential bath salt ingredients are and how to decide which to use for the sort of bath salts you wish to make. With familiarity with the properties of all of the ingredients, you...