Sponge Cake, Simple and All in One
All in One, Simple Sponge Cake
This cake could not be simpler and is particularly great for people afraid of, or new to making sponge cakes. All the ingredients go into the bowl and mixed together, there are no separate steps, it is literally that simple.
Two cakes can be made and turned into a sponge sandwich cake, particularly nice filled with strawberry jam.
The addition of two tablespoons of cocoa powder will turn this into a simple chocolate sponge ideal for celebrations.
I suggest the cake is stored in an airtight container for up to 5 days before the cake will go stale.
Enjoy and happy baking!
- 4oz Self Raising Flour
- 4oz Caster Sugar
- 4oz Butter or Margerine, Softened
- 2 Medium Eggs
- 8inch Cake Tin
Cake Tins Available
How to Make
- Pre-heat the oven to 180oC and grease the 8 inch cake tin. You can also line the bottom of the tin with a cut sheet of baking or grease proof paper
- Sift the flour into a large mixing bowl. At this stage the cocoa powder can be added if desired
- Once all the flour has been sifted into the bowl add the eggs, butter and caster sugar
- Use an electric whisk or mixer to combine all the ingredients in the bowl. This should take about 1 minute but the mixture should drop easily of a spoon when tapped on the side of the bowl. If you do not have an electric whisk, then a good wooden spoon can be used but mixing will take longer
- Place the combined mixture in the greased cake tin. Leave this to settle in the tin and fill all areas. You can, if you feel confident, spread the mixture in the tin. However always spread with the back of a spoon from the middle of the mixture
- Place the tin in the preheated oven for approximately 20 to 25 minutes. Do not be tempted to open the oven door before the 20 minutes.
- When ready the cake should be firm and springy to the touch. It should also leave an inserted skewer clean on removal.
- If you want to decorate your cake, leave to cool partially in the cake tin then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely
Toppings for the Cake or Other Ideas
- How to Make a Delicious Chocolate Banana Loaf
Very simple to make and easy to prepare. Its a great way to use up some of those left over bananas before they go bad!
- Double Chocolate Brownies
These brownies are delicious. There are many recipes out there for chocolate brownies. These are easy to make and versatile. To take them to the next level try covering them in Chocolate Ganache.
- How to Make a Simple Chocolate Ganache
This is a simple recipe to make a great cake covering or dessert topping.
- Cup Cakes Meet Cherry Bakewells
These cherry bakewell cup cakes are delicious. They taste great with a good cup of tea.
More by this Author
These biscuits are delicious, they are very simple to make and when presented as a small token or gift are greatly received.
These Macaroons are delicious and very easy to make. They can be a bit messy however they can be great fun to make with kids.
The Dark Knight is probably one of the best films of 2012, with the score by Hans Zimmer living up to the films legend.
No comments yet.