Creamy squash and tomato soup with mascarpone: a simple soup recipe
This simple recipe is for a creamy and very tasty squash and tomato soup that makes a fantastic starter or a filling lunch.
Squashes are an easy to grow vegetable that are harvested in the autumn. They make a great base for soups and stews and can be stored for use for several months after harvesting. In this recipe I used a large round green-skinned squash with lovely orange flesh. It had a fairly dry texture so the addition of tomato and mascarpone made for a wonderful well-rounded flavour.
- 1 medium sized squash
- 1 medium onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- either 4 large fresh cooking tomatoes, or 4 fluid oz of tomato passata (sieved tomatoes)
- 1 tablespoon fresh mascarpone cheese
- 3/4 pint vegetable stock
- Chop the onion and garlic finely, and saute in a large soup pan in a little butter and olive oil.
- Prepare your squash by removing the skin and seeds, and chopping into roughly one inch sized cubes. Once the onions and garlic have been cooking for about 5 mins add the squash to the pan. Cover and cook gently over a low heat for 10 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Once the squash has started to soften add the vegetable stock and the sieved tomatoes to the pan. I like to use fresh tomatoes, peeled, chopped and passed through a sieve to remove the seeds. Fresh tomatoes have a much nicer flavour, but for simplicity you can use prepared passata from a jar.
- Simmer for a further 15 minutes until the squash is completely cooked through. Remove from the heat and blend to obtain a smooth consistency.
- Just before serving add a large tablespoonful of mascarpone cheese, mix until dissolved and you have a delicious creamy soup. Serve with chunky granary bread or croutons.
More by this Author
How to make a completely vegetarian Christmas dinner, with a delicious recipe for nut roast that can be served alongside or instead of a traditional turkey roast.
This is a wholefood recipe for a traditional dish that can be used as a vegetarian main course. It is full of protein and goodness, and uses wholemeal pastry for the crust for a very satisfying and tasty dish. The...
A showcase of some of Britain's most colourful birds.