Starbucks Drinks Defined: Coffee Sizes, Options, and Other Terms
Starbucks Links and Info
- Starbucks Homepage
Starbucks Coffee Company is the leading retailer, roaster and brand of specialty coffee in the world. The Company's other brands enhance the Starbucks Experience through best-of-class products, including Tazo Tea Company and Hear Music.
- Starbucks Nutritional Information
- The History Of Starbucks
As you sip your double latte soy, learn about the history of Starbucks and how a cup of coffee became a status symbol
- Starbucks Gossip
The #1 Starbucks website (not run by Starbucks Corp.)
Skinny iced mocha? Grande soy latte? Starbucks seems to have its own language. If you need help translating, here is a glossary of Starbucks terminology.
Here is the run-down of the Starbucks lingo. I'm not including iced drinks because most of the hot drinks can just be made iced, which means they are the cold version of the drink. I am including blended frozen drinks.
- Americano: espresso and hot water. Not for the faint of heart.
- Cappuccino: espresso (number of shots depends on the size), a little bit of steamed milk, a lot of foam; stronger than a latte
- Caramel Macchiato: vanilla, steamed milk, espresso, and foam, topped with caramel sauce. This particular drink is exclusive to Starbucks.
- Chai: spicy black tea "infused with cardamom, cinnamon, black pepper and star anise"; can be drunk hot, iced, or in latte form
- Cinnamon Dolce: flavor exclusive to Starbucks, includes sweet cinnamon, butter, and brown sugar
- Decaf: no caffeine; decaffeinated coffee
- Double: adding an extra shot of espresso to a drink that ordinarily only has one
- Doubleshot: 6.5 oz can with espresso and "a touch" of cream, also comes in Doubleshot Light (less fat and sugar)
- Espresso: highly concentrated, heavily caffeinated coffee; it comes in the form of a shot (not an injection, although many probably would like that); described on the Starbucks website as having "rich flavor, lingering aroma and caramel-like sweetness"
- Espresso Con Panna: shot of espresso with a small scoop of whipped cream
- Espresso Macchiato: espresso shot with a small amount of foamed milk
- Ethos Water: essentially just expensive spring water... but with a mission
- Flavor Shot: a few squirts of a particular flavored syrup that you can add to any beverage. coffee or not; many also come in a sugar-free version
- Frappuccino Blended Coffee: frozen drink made of coffee, milk, and flavoring (many options), blended with ice, can be topped with whipped cream -- Flavor options include Vanilla, Caramel, Cinnamon Dolce, Coffee, Espresso, Java Chip, Mint Mocha Chip, Mocha, Pumpkin Spice (seasonal), White Chocolate Mocha
- Frappuccino Light Blended Coffee: the same as Frappuccino, but with fewer calories, uses nonfat milk and sugar-free syrups if applicable
- Frappuccino Blended Crème: frappuccinos without coffee, each has milk and ice, but other ingredients depend on the flavor. Flavors include Double Chocolaty Chip, Pumpkin Spice (seasonal), Strawberries and Creme, Tazo Chai, Tazo Green Tea, and Vanilla Bean
- Frappuccino Juice Blend: just one blend, Lemonade (Strawberry Lemonade in the summer), made with lemonade flavoring blended with ice
- Grande: the medium sized drink at Starbucks—16 oz; hot espresso drinks come with 2 espresso shots
- Half-Caf: half caffeinated, half decaf
- Latte: espresso, a lot of steamed milk, and a little bit of foam on top; not as strong as a cappuccino
- Mocha: espresso, a lot of steamed milk, and mocha syrup, which is essentially dark chocolate syrup
- Pike Place Roast: Starbucks' newest coffee, described as having "a smooth, subtle flavor"
- Protein Fiber Powder: basically what it sounds like, adding powdered protein to you drink
- Refresher: iced drink made with fruit juice and green coffee bean extract, contains caffeine
- Shot: 1 oz, usually associated with espresso
- Skinny: made with nonfat milk; if the drink has syrup, the syrup will be sugar-free
- Soy milk: milk for those who either don't like or can't drink regular milk, made from soy beans, no lactose
- Tall: the small size—12 oz, hot espresso drinks come with 1 espresso shot
- Teavana Tea: Starbucks' brand of tea, can be made into iced teas, lemonades, and lattes, hot and cold, many different flavors
- Trenta: the newest and largest size—31 oz
- Triple: adding a third espresso shot to a drink that originally has two
- Veinte: the large size—20 oz, hot espresso drinks come with 2 espresso shots
- VIA: Starbucks' instant coffee, both for hot and iced coffee
- Vivanno: Starbucks' exclusive frozen blended fruit drinks made with Naked juice, whey protein, fiber powder, milk, ice, and a fruit. Flavors: Banana Chocolate (made with cocoa), Banana Chocolate with Espresso, Orange Mango Banana, Orange Mango Banana with Matcha Green Tea Powder
Sign Up For HubPages!
Like what you see? Then sign up! HubPages is an online space to share advice, reviews, tips, and opinions with hundreds of other authors. HubPages is free, and you can even earn online ad revenue!
More by this Author
Do you think that the color you choose to paint on your nails is merely a reflection of a color you think is pretty? Well, perhaps you should think again. Here's a run-down of what different nail colors say about the...
A description of my mother's complete failure of a knee replacement and the circumstances that led to it.
I want to share my experience with Trichotillomania to show that myself and fellow trichsters are not alone. I also hope that just by paying attention to myself and chronicling my actions, I can eventually decrease the...