Steamed Tofu Wrapped In Banana Leaves Recipe (Pepes Tahu) - A Vegetarian Dish
Here is another awesome dish for busy vegans. Extremerely easy and delicious. Great for any occasion. Its loaded with fiber and protein.
Pepes tahu is a traditional tofu dish from West Java area. Pepes simply means the cooking process which is the protein sources and spices are wrapped in banana leaves then the food parcel is steamed or grilled into perfection. Usually generous amounts of herb is added to the pepes.
Pepes can be made of tempeh, tofu, chicken, fish, shrimp, squid, etc. It is usually served with hot steamed rice.
Here is my easy peasy pepes tahu recipe ( steamed tofu in banana leaves). You are always welcome to use aluminum foil as wrapper but the aroma of the smoky earthy of the banana leaf is not replaceable
2 boxes firm tofu (@14 oz each)
3 spring onions, thinly sliced
3 Asian shallot, thinly sliced
1 lemongrass, cut into 1-inch lengths
5 red hot chilies, thinly sliced
1/2 cup chopped kemangi (lemon basil)
1/4 tsp sugar
2 tsp salt
20 pieces banana leaves, cut into 9-inches in width and lengths
How to Fix
- Wash and pat dry the banana leaves. Cut it into 9-inches in width and lengths. We will need about 20 pieces.
- In a medium bowl, use a masher or fork to mash the tofu. Then add spring onions, shallot. lemongrass, chilies, salt, sugar and lemon basil.
- Prepare and preheat a steamer. bring the water to a rolling boiling then lower the heat.
- Layer 2 pieces of banana leaves. Then put 5 tablespoon of tofu mixture in the center. Cover the mixture with banana leaves and roll them to form a neat cylinder. Use toothpicks to fasten on both ends.
- Bring the water in the steamer into rolling boiling then steam the tofu logs for 20 minutes or until firm.
- Remove from the heat and serve it warm or at room temperature.
More Indonesian Recipes
More by this Author
Learn how to stir-fry spinach. Easy, tasty and healthy vegetarian dish.
Vegetable curry (Ca Ri Chay) Flickr by Pelican Here is a vegetarian curry with big flavors. This Vietnamese curry is made of eggplants, potatoes and tofu, flavored with lemon grass and spicy curry powder, enriched with...
Steamed meatball is pretty common dim sum food. It can be made of beef, chicken, fish, shrimp or squid. My kid's favorite is steamed pork balls. They are soft, wonderful and flavorful. Fixing steamed meatballs at home...