Steel Cut Oats - Irish Oats
Steel Cut Oat Grates
Steal Cut Oats are also known as Irish oats, Coarse Cut Oats, or pinhead oats. They are the grates which have been cut into 2 or 3 pieces by steel rather than being rolled. They resemble small rice pieces that are golden in color.
Oat Grates are the inner portion of the oat kernel after first hulled to remove the outer husk. They are a whole grain containing the fiber-rich bran, nutritious germ, and the endosperm (the bulk of the grain).
Oat grates are steel cut to minimize processing like grinding and boiling, so that the grates retain a high nutritional value when used in a variety of ways.
To use steel cut oats, you need to soak them in several changes of water before cooking, to make them cook more easily, you may also need to simmer for a time that depends on the period of soaking (simmer up to 15 minutes).
The flavor of the cooked product is described to be more chewier and nuttier, and more fitting to cold winter than instant oats.
Flake oats that have been steamed, rolled, re-steamed and toasted, so that they will cook quickly. They have been lost some of their taste, texture and goodness.
The Many Uses of Steel Cut Oats
- Oat cut grates can be soaked and then boiled in hot water or milk (porridge), when you add more water to make a soupy product you get Gruel.
- They can create a nutty flavor and add to the nutritional value of bakeries, thus they can be added to bread and other bakery products.
- They can be involved in soups and stews, as well as sweet and savory foods depending on the type of enhancement.
- They can be involved on homemade facial masks
- Add diced apples or raisins or bananas with milk and honey and you have a breakfast, that easily holds you till lunch time
Google Blog Search
- Steel cut oatmeal cookies... - Home Cooking - Chowhound
- Steel Cut Oats - Cooking
- The Bitten Word: Overnight Oatmeal: Steel-Cut Oats in 10 Minutes
Food & Wine (December 2008) Since we started eating steel-cut oatmeal a few years ago, quick-cooking oats just don't hold the same place in our hearts. Sure, they still make for a nice -- and most importantly quick -- weekday...
- Steel Cut Oats Bonus Track
- Steel Cut Oats - About
Nutritional valus of Steel Cut Oats
1/4 cup serving size contains:
- calories ..................... 150
- Total fat .................... 2 grams
* Polyunsaturated fat ... 1 gram
* Monounsaturated fat .. 1 gram
- Total Carbohydrates.... 26 grams
* Dietary fiber ................ 4 grams
* Soluble fiber ............... 2 grams
* Insoluble fiber ............. 2 grams
- Protein ........................ 4 grams
- Iron ............................. 6% of daily value
- Calcium ...................... 2% of daily value
It contains no sugars, no saturated fat, no trans fat, and no sodium.
Save up to 25% off McCann's
Tips for Cooking Steel Cut Oats
- Get out a big oven-safe pot with a lid. Make it much larger than the contents
- Adjust oven racks to accommodate a big pot.
- Turn on the oven to 300º F.
- Add 4 cups of water to 1 cup of steel cut oats
- Cook for 1 hour
- Add 1 teaspoon of salt and stir briefly. Make it after 3/4 hour of boiling
- You can add dried fruits while cooking but add some water
- Make a double or triple batch and store it in the refrigerator in a tightly-sealed container
- There are many wonderful toppings, that not only taste great but add nutritional value. Some favorites are raisins, cinnamon, walnuts, and milk. Some others, in more or less descending order of healthiness or lack thereof, are soy milk, brown sugar, maple syrup, cream, and butter.
- The Diet Solution Basics
The Diet Solution Basics : A review of the basics of weight loss, as well as the diet solution program and how far it copes with these basics.
More by this Author
When you go for any treatment for acne starting with natural remedies or other alternatives and reaching to chemical prescription drugs, their competitors will make you doubtful about either their effect or their...
Top facial masks made at home using simple items already existing in your kitchen. They suit skin of different types, age and condition.
What if you get rid of your acne 2 days from now? No topical applications, no unknown remedies, no toxic drugs, and no overdose supplements. You will just fine tune the supplements you may be already taking. After the...
No comments yet.