Lamb Stew Recipe: Easy Irish Stew Recipe from Martha Stewart
Do You Like This Recipe?
As promised, I had convinced myself to give a try on Irish Stew for St.Patrick's Day dinner. It wasn't hard hunting down St.Patrick's Day recipes as there tons of websites that feature this popular traditional Irish recipe. Although this stew is new to me, it has the similar ingredients preference as to Roast Pot Chicken which I had posted earlier on. A challenging task to try my hands on a different stew from the Asians.
Celebrate St.Patrick's Day at Home
St.Patrick's Day is one of my favorite holidays, although it is not an observed holiday in Malaysia as our country are mainly bilingual Asian people; Malay, Chinese, Indian and Eurasians.
Nevertheless, times have changed. Irish people are migrating to our country due to work, oversea studies and tourism. They bring along St.Patrick's Day festival and taught us how to celebrate with fun filling events, introduced Irish recipes and beverages and St.Patrick's Day crafts for the kids.
Recently, I had found some friends at Facebook and Twitters who celebrate St.Patrick's Day too. Some of them are Irish, Americans, Canadians and even Asians. As you can see, it is not necessarily for Irish people to celebrate this rowdy occasion. Anyone of any culture, race or color of the skin, all over the world celebrates it. Most of them are planning to patronize the pubs, agreed to wear green St.Patrick's T-shirts, green party hats. drinking green beer and joining parties for a rowdy good time.
Unfortunately, rowdy places are not my cup of tea. I prefer home cooked food. I decided to stay at home and celebrate St.Patrick's Day by cooking a delicious stew for the whole family. Since my mind was set to look for St.Patrick's Day recipes, I hunted down some websites and found some super simple recipes at Martha Stewart and Allcrecipes.com. Irish Stew, Irish Apple Mash Potatoes, Slow Cooker Corned Beef and Cabbage and Irish Chewy Coffee Blondies.
Finally, after pondering which of the recipes that is easy to cook with less ingredients, I have decided to cook Irish Stew, the main course of the St.Patrick's meal.
If you can't cook, don't worry!
Irish Stew Brief History
Irish Stew is Ireland national dish which had been created in the early 1800's to celebrate St.Patrick's Day and can be consume at all time around the year.
Back in the 1800's, gas stove had not been developed until 1820's. Hence, women at that time relied on natural fire sources such as woods, twigs and branches to cook meals over open fire.
This unique traditional cuisine makes a delicious stew by cooking over open fire which required boiling and simmering slowly at least more than 2 hours. Now, there are many opinions as to what ingredients should be added to enhance the extra meaty flavor and additional nutrients to this stew.
In the past, Irish Stew was traditionally cooked with mutton (goat meat) instead of lamb meat because rearing sheep were the important source of income to the Irish as they had to relied on sheep' wool and milk to produce blankets, winter clothes and daily dairy products as their rice bowl. Therefore, mutton was used even though the meat is less tender and takes long hours to simmer until it is edible and tender.
An Irish Stew usually consists of mutton, potato, onion and parsley but now, people prefer to enhance the taste of the stew with chopped fresh thyme and carrots which makes it taste sweet. These days, people are changing their taste buds to lamb meat rather than mutton as lamb meat takes much shorter time to cook, taste better and easier to chew into the soft, tender meat.
Do you cook any special dish on St.Patrick's Day?See results without voting
You don't have to wait until St.Patrick's Day to enjoy this delicious Irish Stew from Martha Stewart. Have it at any other day as your lunch, dinner or dinner parties. So, let's get the hot pot cracking and fill up those rumbling tummies.
Ingredients to Prepare
- 3 pounds small Yukon gold potatoes,, peeled
- 2 medium onions, (about 1 pound),, halved lengthwise and cut into thin half-moons
- 2 1/2 pounds lamb shoulder or mutton, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
- a few dash white pepper, freshly ground
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, coarsely chopped
- 3 cups homemade lamb stock, or low-sodium store-bought chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons curly- or flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
Awesome Homemade Lamb Stock
Tips to Prepare Homemade Lamb Stock
In order to prepare homemade lamb stock, it is wise to boil the stock early in the morning as it will take at least 2-3 hours to immerse the lamb juice from the bones.
2kg lamb bones
3 medium onions
3 unpeel clove of garlics
1 bay leaf
1 bunch of parsley
2 sprig of thyme
1 sprig of rosemary
5 litres of water
Method of Cooking:
- Firstly, roast the lamb bones in a baking tray until brownish.
- Get a large soup pot to put in 2kg of lamb bones 5 litres of water.
- When the water starts to boil, add in the rest of the ingredients
- Bring to boil , reduce heat and simmer for at least 2-3 hours
Tips to Prepare Lamb Stock Cubes
Now, if you don't have enough time to simmer the lamb stock in the morning, fear not! Don't panic yet.
Buy Lamb Stock Cubes from any grocery shops or hypermarket, comes in 6 small cubes per box. Sometimes, I could buy 8 pieces of cubes at the price of 6 cubes! Save money and gain additional 2 cubes. I prefer to use Knorr Lamb Stock Cubes which comes in 80g per cube.
Each cube contains no added MSG, it is gluten free, no artificial coloring, are made from carefully selected herbs and spices to enhance the natural flavor of your fresh ingredients.
You don't have to simmer for 2-3 hours, waste of time and gas. Takes around 30 minutes to give you a wonderful lamb stock after the rest of the ingredients are soft and tender.
- Bring a soup pot to boil, around 2 litres of water.
- Add in 2 medium onions cut into quarters, 1 medium carrot cut into chunks, 2 cloves of garlic, 1 bay leaf, 1 bunch of parsley, 1 sprig of thyme and 1 sprig of rosemary.
- When the water starts to form bubbles, add in the 1 .5 piece of lamb stock cubes.
- Reduce fire and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Use a fork to test out the tendency of the carrots. Taste the soup. If it taste bland, add in the other 1/2 cube.
How to Cook Irish Stew with 3 Easy Steps
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Cut 1 pound of the potatoes into 1/4-inch-thick rounds; spread them out in a large (5- to 6-quart) heavy-bottom pot or Dutch oven. Layer half the onions on top of the potatoes.
- Place lamb cubes on top of onions. Sprinkle with 1 1/2 teaspoons salt; season with pepper. Add the thyme. Place remaining onions on top of lamb. Add the stock and 1 cup water.
- Place whole potatoes on top of onions. Sprinkle with remaining teaspoon salt; season with pepper. Cover with a tight-fitting lid; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Transfer to oven; cook, without stirring, 2 hours. Sprinkle with parsley
|Calories from Fat||153|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 17 g||26%|
|Saturated fat 7 g||35%|
|Sugar 4 g|
|Fiber 2 g||8%|
|Protein 53 g||106%|
|Cholesterol 163 mg||54%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
How to Boil Irish Stew Video
Peachpurple Hubs Related to St.Patrick's Day
- 6 Ways to Celebrate St.Patrick's Day at Home
On St. Patrick's day, I am going to stay at home and celebrate making some "green" work. Baking cookies, desserts, gardening, making a bookmark, send SMS. Save money and time.
© 2013 peachy
More by this Author
Cherry Coconut Cake is another great additions to my cake recipes. Desiccated coconut makes the cake heavier, compact and full of coconut flavor while the cherries are wonderful to bite for there are crunchy to me. A...
Malaysian Burgers are street burgers, better than McD or KFC. They are cheaper, easy to prepare and tasty. RAMLI burger is the best burger in town with different flavor; beef, chicken or mutton
Here are some wonderful birthday quotes, wishes, funny wishes and simple verses for you to choose to write in your birthday card. Be choosy. Choose the suitable ones for this special person. Most of these messages are...