Stir Fried Spicy Bullfrog
Bullfrog hunts anything
The bullfrog (Rana catesbeiana) can be found in many parts of the world where it is the largest frog species. Inspite of this, it is an alien species that is native to North America. In recent years, this alien frog species is thriving so well that it has come to the point of threatening the survival of native species in the land, the water and the air. A bullfrog is highly predatory and carnivorous. It can eat worms, fish, other amphibians, snakes, birds, small mammals and even its own kind. This happens not just in North America, but also in other parts of the world, where the frogs were initially brought in for breeding in farms and to provide a source of food.
Slautering a frog.
Halting the spread of bullfrogs.
So, how can we help protect the fragile ecosystem, prevent the disruption of food chain and halt the invasion of bullfrogs?
Stop treating bullfrog as a pet. Some children like to keep bullfrogs as pets. After sometime these pets get abandoned and end up in ponds and waterways.
Stop the practice of releasing animals, particularly the bullfrog as a form of religious merit making.
Ensure that breeding tanks are sufficiently isolated or enclosed in high walls, so as to prevent the frogs from escaping.
Do not transport bullfrogs from one pond to another. To do this is to provide a helping hand to the reproduction of bullfrogs.
Photo: Bullfrog eats anything that can fit into its mouth.
More on East Asian Food
- Pork Rib Soup (Bak Kut Teh)
Most overseas Chinese, especially those living in South East Asia, have tried Bak Kut Teh. It's the type of food that people either love or hate, but one thing for sure is that they will never forget it. ...
- Sea Cucumber- A Source of Food and Medicine
in Chinese means Ginseng of the Sea. It has been a source of food to the Chinese for several centuries. It is considered as one of the Eight Delicacies from the sea, together with scallop, sharkfin, abalone,...
To prevent further destruction of the fragile ecosystem and disruption of the food chain by this invasive species, it is time that we start looking seriously into non-conventional sources of food supply. As a matter of fact, the bullfrog is considered a delicacy in many parts of the world, including some Southern States in the US. It is also nutritious food. Its meat is a rich source of protein, with low fat and low cholesterol content. So let's kill two frogs with one stone by eating them.
Ingredients and Instructions.
150g bull frog meat, 1 Tbs cooking oil, one large onion, 2 tsp white wine, several slices ginger, 4 large red chilli, 2 tsp cornstarch, 1 tsp soy source, 3 cloves garlic, 2 stalks spring onion, ¼ tsp salt and some pepper.
1. Slaughter the frog by removing its head, skin, innards and chop into pieces. Add salt, pepper, corn starch, wine and soy source to meat and allow it to marinate.
2. Cut red chilli into ring-shaped pieces and remove seeds.Using a heavy Chinese cleaver, slap the back end of the blade smartly on the garlic and remove the peels. Cut garlic into pieces.Chop spring onion into an inch long pieces. Chop ginger into pieces.
3. Heat up the wok and add oil. When the oil is hot and sizzling, add frog meat, lightly stir fry until meat turn white. Remove from wok.
4. Add some oil to wok. When oil is hot and sizzling, add minced ginger, chopped chilli. Fry until fragrant. Add sauteed frog meat and wine. Garnish with spring onion. Turn off heat, transfer to plate. Ready to serve.
More on Flora and Fauna
- Red Jungle Fowl- Ancestor of Domestic Chicken
can be seem foraging for food near the edge of forests in South East Asia and some parts of East Asia. Its food consists of seeds from wild grasses, small fruits, tender shoots, invertebrates and various...
- Petai- Stink bean that is both food and medicine.
Petai, with a sciencetific name of Parka Speciosa, is a type of tree that is found throughout tropical South East Asia; in regions such as peninsula Malaysia, Java, Sumatra, Borneo, Thailand, Laos and...
Stir-fried spicy bullfrog.
More by this Author
in Chinese means Ginseng of the Sea. It has been a source of food to the Chinese for several centuries. It is considered as one of the Eight Delicacies from the sea, together with scallop, sharkfin, abalone, fish...