Strawberry Shortcake with Nutella
A Little Background
My sons and I were celebrating one night and I wanted to make a special dessert for us to enjoy but I had not prepared well and did not know what I could make.
That is when I realized that I had fresh strawberries in the fridge, along with some whipped cream, and some already made shortcakes from the store on my counter. I was also craving Nutella (a popular hazelnut spread) and had some in my pantry. As I looked at all these ingredients, I decided; why not combine them all!
This recipe is super easy but it is really delicious. My family loves it and I know you will too. I have also included a video on how to make your own shortcakes from scratch. These homemade shortcakes make this dessert even better! Enjoy!!
- 6 Shortcakes, Store bought or Homemade
- 1 Pint Fresh Strawberries, Diced
- 1 Tbsp Sugar
- 8 oz. Heavy Whipping Cream
- 2 Tbsp Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Vanilla
- 1 Jar Nutella
How much do you love Strawberry Shortcake?
Making The Shortcake
Looking at the ingredients I listed I'm sure you can tell this is a pretty easy recipe. This recipe can be made with store bought shortcakes, or if you have a little more time on you hands, you can make it with homemade shortcakes.
In order to make things as convenient as possible for you I have posted a video below for a wonderful shortcake recipe! This way you can make homemade shortcakes quickly and easily.
Delicious Shortcake Biscuits
- First take the fresh strawberries and dice them so that each strawberry is cut into fourths
- Place the strawberries in a bowl and pour on the sugar. Gently stir the two ingredients together.
- Cover the bowl and put it in the refrigerator so that the sugar can work its magic! Sugar draws the juice out of the strawberries creating a "sauce" for your dessert.
- Prep your whipped cream next. Place the heavy whipping cream, sugar and vanilla in a cold bowl and beat for 1-5 minutes (until the mixture starts getting stiff enough to form peaks). I have attached a video below to show the process. Do not over whip this mixture or you will end up with butter!
- Now take your biscuits and place them on individual dessert plates. If they are homemade, cut them in half and put the bottom half on the plate.
- Take your strawberries out of the fridge and spoon them onto the shortcakes. (Make sure to spoon some of the delicious sauce you made over the strawberries!)
- Then take the jar of Nutella and stir it until the Nutella is soft. From there take a tablespoon and scope out a spoonful of Nutella. Then drizzle it over your strawberries.
- Add a layer of whipped cream on top of this.
- If you made your biscuits, place the top of the biscuit onto the whipped cream.
- Then repeat the process with the strawberries, Nutella and whipped cream. After that, I like to place a single strawberry on top of the creation.
- Share with family and friends and enjoy!!
Whipped Cream Recipe
Why Strawberry Shortcake is So Fun
Strawberry shortcake is a great dessert to make because it is so easy to make it your own!
For example, if you do not like Nutella, you can try putting some chopped walnuts on top of your shortcake. You can also try drizzling a small amount of maple syrup or melted chocolate over the berries. For the chocolate drizzle, simply melt some chocolate in a double boiler and spoon it over the strawberries! Yum!
Another option to change things up is to put a little lemon juice into the strawberry, sugar mixture to give it a little bit of tang. I have also heard of people putting just a pinch of salt into the mixture to bring out the sweetness of the berries.
The other thing that's great about strawberry shortcake is that you do not have to use strawberries! When making it you can use raspberries, blueberries, diced peaches or other soft fruits. Of course then its not called STRAWBERRY shortcake.
This is such a versatile dish; what's not to love?
Are There Any Health Benefits
As with most desserts, there are not a ton of health benefits to strawberry shortcake, except for the berries.
Strawberries are extremely healthy! In fact, strawberries are a super food! First, they are full of antioxidants, which have been found to help fight everything from aging to cancer!
One of those antioxidants is vitamin C which is a vital nutrient for our bodies. One serving of strawberries, about half a cup, has 50% of our daily vitamin C needs. This helps us fight disease and heal. One of the things vitamin C does is heal our eyes when they have been exposed to UV rays. This healing process helps protect our vision.
Strawberries also contain phenols which help our bodies fight inflammation. It actives an enzyme in our bodies to help bring down swelling. This has been found to help with diseases such as asthma and arthritis. Manganese is also found in strawberries. This is another powerful anti inflammatory agent.
Ellagic acid is in strawberries. This acid inhibits the growth of cancer cells in the body. Thus, strawberries also help fight cancer! This also helps clean free radicals from our bodies to prevent cancer from developing. Ellagic helps our bodies produce collagen which helps fight (Are your ready ladies?) wrinkles!
Strawberries have potassium and vitamin K in them. Potassium helps regulate blood pressure and potassium and vitamin K both help keep bones healthy.
Pregnant women give their babies a great boast when they eat strawberries. These berries are filled with Foliate and Vitamin B which assist in the development of the baby's brain, skull and spinal cord. They can also protect against certain birth defects.
Another words, do not ever feel guilty about eating this delicious dessert. Instead just pile on more strawberries!! Enjoy!
Did you know about the health benefits of strawberries?See results without voting
More by this Author
Looking for some basic fashion tips? Here are five of the most timeless and important fashion tips out there!