Stuffed Bell Peppers
Nothing better then stuffed peppers, that are either cooked the traditional way or an alternative to the traditional way that has nice taco flavor added to the ground beef. First is the regular way to cook stuffed bell peppers.
6 large bell peppers (green, red or yellow)
1 lb ground beef
1 small onion, finely diced
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon sage
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
dash of pepper
1 cup dry rice, cooked
1 (15 ounce) can spaghetti sauce
3/4 to 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (I prefer sharp)
1. Cut stem end off each pepper. Remove seeds and membranes; rinse. Cook peppers in enough boiling water to cover 5 minutes; drain. Carefully move the peppers to a 9x12 inch ungreased baking pan in a standing upright position.
2. Cook and stir the ground beef and onion in skillet until hamburger is brown; drain. Stir in all the ingredients up to the cooked rice, and 1 cup of the spaghetti sauce; heat thoroughly.
3. Stuff each pepper with the meat mixture. Pour remaining sauce over peppers. Cover with foil; cook in 350 degree F oven for 45 minutes. Uncover; cook 15 minutes longer. Remove from oven and sprinkle with shredded cheese.
Makes 6 servings.
Bell peppers of Different Colors
Look at all those peppers
- Bell Peppers Post Cards by artberry
Highest quality postcards. This link is for the artwork above.
20 Quart Stock Posts
Mixed Bell Peppers
Mixed Bell Peppers
Making Stuffed Peppers (Another Recipe)
Easy Tasty Stuffed Bell Peppers
This is my own recipe that I use most often. I find it tastier
than the Traditional Stuffed Pepper recipe. Last time I used red bell peppers. Red bell peppers are a little sweeter than the green bell peppers.
6 large green bell peppers
1 lb ground beef
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1 package taco seasoning mix
3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese (or desired amount)
1 box Spanish Rice Mix
1 1/2 cups water
1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes (crushed)
1 tablespoon butter
1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
1. Cut thin slice from stem end of each pepper. Remove seeds
and membranes; rinse. Cook peppers in enough boiling water to cover 5 minutes;
2. Cook and stir hamburger and onion in 10-inch skillet
until hamburger is light brown; drain. Add taco seasoning mix. Cook as directed
3. In a two quart saucepan cook the Spanish rice as
instructed. According to the directions on the box that I have: Combine 1 1/2 cups
water, 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes (crushed), 1 tablespoon butter and
Spanish Rice Mix. Stir well and bring to boil.
4. Stir rice, reduce heat, cover and simmer over low heat
for 25 minutes or until all water is absorbed.
5. Remove rice mixture from heat and let stand for 5
6. Combine hamburger and rice mixture.
3. Stuff each pepper with mixture; stand upright in
ungreased baking dish, 9x12 inches. Pour tomato sauce over peppers. Cover with
foil; cook in 350 degree F oven for 45 minutes. Uncover; cook 15 minutes
longer. Remove from oven and sprinkle with shredded cheese.
Makes 6 servings.
Note: I have substituted chili in place of the rice or combined the two. The great thing about stuffed peppers is that you can use your imagination.
Some of Sandyspider on HubPages
- Knowing St. Patrick
St. Patrick's Day is celebrated on March 17th. This is the day of his death on 460 A.D. St. Patrick with Shamrock and Crozier March 17 is St. Patricks Day. This is the day St. Patrick, the patron saint...
- Potato Casseroles
I love to cook. I am one of those cooks who often create her own recipe without even writing it down. This irritates people who would like a copy of one of my homemade recipes. Then I have to think the...
- High Price of Ink and Saving with BigCrumbs
Watching TV, a comedian was saying that he just bought a new printer for $46 and then paid $76 for the ink. I found this amusing and ironic since I was expecting two shipments of ink cartridges anytime soon....
- Valentines Day Vintage Stamps
Vintage Valentine stamps come custom made from an online shops like Zazzle. I love this site, in fact I am addicted to it. Zazzle is a high quality, fast shipping, online shop where print on demand postage...
- Cheddar and Ham Cheesecake
Often when you think of cheesecake, you think of dessert. There is nothing better than a creamy smooth rich Cherry Cheesecake. But what you might not know is cheesecake can be for breakfast too. OK, I...
- Chicken Teriyaki
If you are into Japanese food, then this is a great tasting and easy to make recipe that your family will enjoy. It serves a family of four. I have had this recipe for years. The serving sizes are a little...
- Starting a Zazzle Shop
Searching through your photographs you find a photo of Aunt Harriet proudly holding her overgrown Zucchini. Her birthday is coming up. She already has everything and she is so hard to please. How can she...
More by this Author
Do you burn up or begin hiccuping while eating jalapeno peppers? Then you may very well be allergic to these. The best way is to avoid the peppers altogether.
Comments 43 comments
The copyright to this article is owned by Sandy Mertens (sandyspider). Permission to republish this article in print or online must be granted by the author in writing. (You can, however, freely use the opening introduction and photo with a link to the article here on HubPages to read the remainder of the article.)