Stuffed Cabbage Rolls
My Grandmother made the best Stuffed Cabbage Rolls, also known as Krautnagels. The recipe I have is in a "Recipe Memories" book created by my Mom.
Each of the twenty or so recipes is hand-written. It is one of my priceless possessions and I have made many of the recipes over and over again. My Grandmother didn't write anything down as it was all from memory. So, my Mom transcribed this as told to her by my Grandmother. There aren't too many actual measurements so I will add helpful tips as I go along.
- 1 1/2-2 lbs. Ground Beef, Chuck or Meat Loaf Mixture (Pork and Beef)
- Large Head of Cabbage
- 1-1 1/2 cups White Rice
- Large can (36 oz) Crushed Tomatoes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 Tbs. Shortening
- 1 lb. Bacon
- Large jar of Saurkraut
- white vinegar
- sugar to taste (1/4-1/2 cup)
Prepare the Cabbage Leaves
- use a large head of cabbage with big outer leaves
- cook 12 leaves
- cover with water and boil for at least 10 minutes
- remove from water and allow to cool
- cut up a large onion
- place in the bottom of a large pot with 2 TBS of shortening
- 1 1/2-2 LBS Ground Beef, Chuck or Meat Loaf Mixture (Beef and Pork)
- put meat in a large bowl
- add 1-2 cups of white rice
- add salt and pepper to taste
- add 2 TBS from a large can of Crushed Tomatoes
- Wash your hands and remove your rings. Use your clean hands to mix all ingredients together.
Stuff the Cabbage Leaves
- Take a cabbage leaf and put a handful of meat mixture in the leaf.
- The "Handful" should be enough to allow the edges of the leaf of cabbage to be folded around the meat mixture
- It is helpful to tie string around the cabbage roll just to keep it together.
Layer the Cabbage Leaves and Other Ingredients
- Put 5 or 6 cabbage rolls on top of the cut up onion in the bottom of the pot.
- Place 3-4 slices of bacon on top of the cabbage rolls
- Put Sauerkraut on top of the bacon
- Continue to layer Cabbage Rolls, Bacon and Sauerkraut
- Pour the remainder of the large can of Crushed Tomatoes over the top.
- In a separate bowl mix 1 part vinegar to 2 parts water
- Add sugar to sweeten. Add sugar as desired depending on your taste for more sweet or sour.
- Pour over the top and cover the pot
- Simmer 1 1/2 -2 hours
Vegetarian Stuffed Cabbage Leaves
Posna means Lentin or Fasting. Meat and dairy are strictly prohibited during Serbian Orthodox Lent and Advent so this recipe is a perfect alternative for both Vegetarians and those wishing to satisfy their taste buds while abiding by Religious restrictions.
Russian Stuffed Cabbage Leaves
Russian Stuffed Cabbage Leaves or Golubsti
More by this Author
My sister gave me a gorgeous potted tuberous Begonia that thrived and bloomed all summer. My goal is to keep this "annual" flower safely stored for the Winter and restart it in the Spring.
Butterfly Pork Chops have little fat to trim off and are so tender. Pork Chops with Mushroom Gravy is a very simple recipe that I have been making for years. Few ingredients are needed, it's easy to throw together at...
Does a rubber oil pan drain plug work. Not really. The self threading piggy back oil pan drain plug cold welded in place is the answer!