Stuffed Dover Sole | The Cupboard Drawer Recipe Book
For a seafood lover, a true Dover Sole is the stuff of ambrosia. It comes from only one place in the world and that is in the cold waters of the North Sea and English Channel. So here in the states you will without exception have to ask for it and it will be expensive as it must be imported from Europe. Fortunately this recipe works with the more common fish sold as sole in the US, though it is more than likely not a sole at all but a pacific flounder.
It is also worth a moment to note that while The Cupboard Drawer Recipe Book’s recipes are tried and true Old School; it is sometimes worth mentioning more recent guidance for times and tastes do change over the years. Such it is with the ‘Fork Test” mentioned here. Newer guidance says that if the fish flakes it is already overdone. I personally don’t mind error on the done side but a more accurate test is internal temp and for fish it is 135-140 F (57-60 C) however you choose to check it… Do Enjoy!!
6 Fillets of Dover Sole about 2 Lbs (900 Grahams)
5 tbsp Olive Oil Divided (3-2tbsp)
2 tbsp Lemon Juice
2 tbsp Chives, chopped
1 clove Garlic, crushed
1 tsp Seasoned Salt
1 cup Mushrooms, sliced
¼ cup sliced blanched Almonds
2 cup fresh Spinach, chopped
¼ cup Scallions, sliced
Lemon Slices and Watercress, if desired
Preheat Oven 400 (F) / 204 (C)
- /wash the sole fillets under cold running tap water; pat dry, arrange in a shallow baking dish.
- In a mixing bowl, combine 3 tbsp of Olive Oil, lemon juice, chives, garlic, and salt; blend well. Pour over fish, cover and refrigerate for several hours (3 or more), turning fish occasionally.
- In a skillet over medium heat, heat the remaining 2 tbsp of Olive Oil. Add the spinach, almonds, mushrooms, and scallions, cook just long enough to soften the spinach as filling for the Sole Fillets.
- Remove fish from the marinade, reserve the marinade. Divide the filling among the fillets, spooning it along the center lengthwise, roll them up and place in the baking dish seam side down. Spoon the reserved marinade over the fillets.
- Bake in the preheated 400 F / 204 (C) oven for 15 minutes or until flakes easily when tested with a fork.
- Remove to a serving platter and garnish with Lemon Slices and watercress if desired.
Yield 6 servings.
More by this Author
Here are a few of the $100K jobs available.. Jobs are in US Government locations overseas., Potential 100K+ during periods of deployment,
Easy diet dinner basics that can be used for 36 different meals off just these ingredients. A great set of night time diet recipes for less than 500 calories per meal. Pretty simple weight loss idea, as for the food Do...
An adult only version of Twas the Night before Christmas, retitled "Twas the Night Before X-mas" Great adult party poem keeping in the seasons lighter side...Twas the night before x-mas; And all through the...