Stuffed Steak and Cauliflower Cheese Recipes
How to Cook Stuffed Steak and Cauliflower Cheese
Step by step instructions and photos.
The name of the recipe is stuffed steak but the beauty of this dish is you can make it with cheaper cuts of beef too.
This is actually a recipe that my mother made for us years ago as one of our Sunday dinners. When I was younger most families could only afford a roast or main meat dish one day a week.
We would have roast and mashed potatoes and three vegetables with the Stuffed Steak. Mum could only afford Round Steak most of the time but occasionally she made it with strip loin or sirloin.
The better the meat the better the taste, but it is still really delicious when it is made with round steak. This is because the meat is cooked slowly and surrounded with stuffing.
It cooks with the juices mixed in with the onions and herbs.
The meat falls apart on the fork and has a distinctive taste.
Stuffed Steak Recipes
I learnt a lot from my mother when I was younger and now I enjoy some really great homemade cooked dinners because of all her wonderful inventive recipes.
Here I am going to share with you one of my favorite main meals. I have given a step by step guide and included all my own photos as I prepared this meal.
- Three large pieces of round, striploin or sirloin steak
- Two large onions
- Two medium tomatoes
- Loaf of white bread
- Parsley and mixed herbs
- Six large potatoes
- Carrots, Sprouts and Cauliflower
- Small portion of cheese and milk
- Tin foil/baking foil
How to Make Homemade Stuffing
- Break up the bread in to small pieces. I used a small blender which is perfect for making breadcrumbs. Add the pieces of bread to the blender and turn into breadcrumbs.
- Add the parsley. Fresh is best for taste but if you are unable to buy this then use the dried parsley. I would use a full jar for a loaf of bread, It is all down to your preferred taste though. You can add a little more or less.
- Add the mixed herbs. I only add a tablespoon of these. But my sister adds the full jar. So it is up to you but if you are making stuffing for the first time I would be cautious and add less .
- Peal and cut up the onions into very small pieces.
- Add a little oil to a pot and add the onions. If the pot is small you can do this in two stages.
- Stir until the onions are moist and a little brown.
- Make a hole in the middle of the breadcrumbs and throw the onions into the dish.
- Cut up and slice the tomatoes into small pieces and add to the pot to heat. These only need about half a minute because you do not want them to go into mush. Add the tomatoes to the breadcrumbs and onions.
- Stir the ingredients together with a spoon. Mix in well making sure you have got to the breadcrumbs at the end of the bowl.
Prepare the Roasting Dish
- Add a large piece of tin foil to the baking dish.
- Make sure you leave enough on either side so that you can fold it over the dish and seal.
- It is best to have a dish that is big enough so you can put the steak pieces flat on top of the stuffing.
Run the steak under the tap water and dry with a paper towel.
Add a teaspoon of oil to a pan and seal the meat.
Cook on both sides until the steak is sealed and brown. This only takes about twenty seconds on both sides. The reason this is done is to keep most of the meat juices from escaping into the stuffing. You do not want dry and tough steak.
Remove the Fat
I do not like eating the fat that is on the steak. But at this stage I leave it on the meat. There are two reasons for this. The juices and flavour from the fat can mix with the stuffing and it is so much easier to remove the fat once it is cooked.
If you have someone who likes eating this part of the steak then all the better.
- Add a layer of stuffing to the bottom of the roasting dish, approximately one inch. Some of the meat juices will collect here and you can later mix this part of the stuffing with the rest.
- Add the steak on top of the small amount of stuffing.
- Then add the remainder of the stuffing on top of the meat. This will cover the whole dish.
- Wrap over the tin foil and seal.
- Put the stuffed steak dish into a preheated oven.
- After ten minutes turn the oven temperature to 180 degrees centigrade or equivalent settings.
- Cook for one and half hours.
- Remove the dish and take out the steak and put on a plate. This is the time to remove any fat you do not want. It will fall off the meat. I let this go cold and then cut it up into tiny pieces. The birds love it!
- Using a large spoon mix in the stuffing by taking the bottom part which is moist and adding the higher drier part.
- Put the steak back into the dish. Cover the meat with the stuffing.
- Leave the tin foil off the stuffing this time and put back in the oven for a further half hour.
The cooking time depends on the amount of steak and the cooker you use. The times above are approximate.
- Take the dish out and test the steak, if the knife slides through it immediately then the stuffed steak is ready. If the meat feels hard then cook for another ten minutes.
How to Cook Roast Potatoes
- Peal and wash the potatoes.
- Cut into reasonable sizes for your roast potatoes. I usually do four potato pieces for each person.
- Add a small amount of cooking oil to a dish and add the potatoes.
- Using your hands flip the potatoes around in the oil. This is to ensure each one has been covered in the cooking oil.
- They take about one hour to cook depending on how well done you like them. As you can see from the photos I like my roast potatoes very well done, brown and crispy.
- Put the dish containing the potatoes on the highest shelf in the oven. Your stuffed steak would be nearly cooked so this can be placed in the lowest shelf.
Cauliflower Cheese Recipe
How to make Cauliflower Cheese
- Remove the leaves from the cauliflower.
- Cut it in half as this makes it easier to cut into small pieces.
- Place the florets of cauliflower on to the surface of a small oven dish.
- Grate some cheese over the top.
- It should be covered completely and then it depends how much cheese you prefer. I like to add quite a bit for the extra taste.
- Add some milk around the edges; do not let the milk hit the cheese. It should go up to three quarters of the cauliflower.
- Cauliflower Cheese takes forty minutes in the oven to cook.
- Make sure you time it to coincide with the cooking time of the rest of your dinner.
The portions I have cooked here in this photo is for two people because one of the dinner party does not like cauliflower.
When it is cooked you will have a tasty vegetable enhanced with melted cheese.
Stuffed Steak with roast potatoes, cauliflower cheese and veg
Stuffed Steak with roast potatoes, mash and vegetables is one of my favorite meat dishes. As you can see from the recipe above it is easy to prepare and cook.
I always prefer to make my meals from scratch because it is cheaper, more hygienic and tastes so much better.
All images are the copyright of L.M.Reid
How to Chop Onions
In this article I show you how to peel and chop onions the easy way.
This tip will allow you to cook with onions without the stinging tears.
There is also a clever tip on how to remove the smell and taste of raw onions from the chopping board and frying pan.
More by this Author
Recipe for Hamburger. How To Make the Best Hamburgers Recipes.
Steak Pie Recipe . Easy Shortcrust Pastry recipe. How to Make Steak and Onion Pie.
How To Make Homemade Dog Food . Here are some Dog Food Recipes you can make for your pet.