Stuffed Tomatoes Recipe
Tomatoes are not only healthy, they also look very good on the table. Here is a traditional stuffed tomatoes recipe. It is shockingly good when you use local tomatoes. Plus it's also quick and easy to make. And it adds nice touch to the table.
- 4 fresh tomatoes, ripe but not mushy
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 3/4 cup dried bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup fresh basil, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large scallion, finely chopped (or 1 tablespoon chives, chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves, (or 4 freshly harvested cloves), minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves, (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- 1/4 cup local cheese, grated or crumbled (Monterey Jack, cheddar, etc.)
- Preheat oven to 425 F (220 C).
- Cut the tomatoes in half through their circumference. Using a spoon, remove and discard most of the seeds from each tomato.
- Scoop out and discard about half of each tomato's pulp, then chop and set aside on a plate.
- Sprinkle the tomato cavities with about half the salt, then invert on a rack to drain.
- In a medium bowl, combine the breadcrumbs, basil, olive oil, scallions or chives, garlic, thyme, and remaining salt and pepper.
- Tip the plate with chopped tomatoes, and spoon off most of their liquid.
- Add the chopped tomatoes to the mixture.
- Divide equally among the tomato cavities. Sprinkle each with some of the cheese.
- Place the tomatoes in a baking dish. Bake until tender but not falling apart, about 10 minutes.
More by this Author
Ever wondered how to cook fresh green beans? Check out stewed green beans recipe. This dish is very popular in Armenia and the Caucasus in general.
Tuna sandwich recipe has lots of variations. Check out three different tuna sandwiches—cold, warm and fried—and see which one you like the best.
What pimples on buttocks mean, how to get rid of them, and how to prevent them.