Summer Easy Chicken Salad with Mandarin Oranges
Fast Fresh Easy Chicken Salad Recipe
Do you like Chicken Salad?
Chicken Salad for Dinner
Who wants to cook during a summer heat wave? Not me.
You manage to drag yourself home from work through the hot traffic and summer climate and then you have to come up with a tasty family meal.
Stopping for take-away after work can get both monotonous and expensive. After all, you do try to feed your family healthy foods and most take-away is loaded with salt, sugar, and fat.
Here is a quick Chicken Salad recipe. This can use precooked cans of white meat chicken or the left overs from the store bought rotisserie chicken from last night. The addition of a can of mandarin oranges adds a great flavor zest and a visual appeal as well.
After the basic recipe, let's discuss the different types of additions to the recipe that just might appeal to your family. This recipe may also be dressed up and taken to the Card Group lunch too! Well, why not!!
Ingredients Keep is Simple!
- 1 can (12 oz) cooked chicken
- 1 can (6 oz) Mandarin Oranges
- 2 T. chopped onions
- 1 stalk chopped celery
- 1 T. mayonnaise
- 1-2 dashes onion powder
- 1 -2 dashes curry powder, (not shown in picture)
- Open and drain the can of cooked chicken (save the liquid for soups or just treat the pets right then and there!) Or cut the chicken off the store-bought rotisserie chicken
- Chop onion and celery. Set aside the 1 T. of mayo. Set aside the onion and curry powders.
- Open and drain the can of Mandarin Oranges. I have no idea what it feels like to have the juice left over as the husband drinks it asap.
- Gently combine all ingredients Taste and add a dash of onion powder (not onion salt!)
- Place in fridge for a few minutes while you unwind or set the table or toast the bread or wash the lettuce. It tastes better if let to combine in the fridge for about 15 minutes (or more is okay)
Different Ingredient Ideas
Chicken salad was a favorite when I was a kid. We did not have it often as we did not have left-over chicken very often and my Mom would not cook chicken just for chicken salad sandwiches.
I especially like having the cans of cooked chicken on-hand that you can buy at Costco. They are all white meat and not expensive at all!
Serving this chicken salad on raisin toast adds a further touch of taste and sweetness. I have experimented with different additional flavors and ingredients for this dish and can say that we like all of the following additions and ideas:
FRUITS: It is easy to change out the fruit for other fruits such as: pineapple, apple, strawberries, blueberries, cherries and such. If you may also combine two or more different fruits. Cantaloupe is good with this too!
DRIED FRUITS: Throw in a handful of raisins or Craisins too! Any dried fruit would be good. How about apricots? That sounds great!
SPICES: Stepping up the curry and mixing it with a lighter dressing such as Marzetti's will make this a tasty dish.
SPECIALTY BREADS: As you can imagine the addition of specialty breads, muffins, or rolls will take this up a level. The favorite is a lemon poppy muffin. It will only take a minute to mix some butter and some honey or the butter with the mandarin orange juice. Be careful to not make the butter too runny.
VEG OUT: Try cucumbers in place of the fruit. This makes it extra garden fresh. Green onions are good in place of the regular chopped onions too. Substitute tomatoes for the Mandarin oranges.
I know that these ideas are not new. But, sometimes we need to tickle our memories and imaginations to take a recipe to a different place. After a hot day at work in the summertime, it is nice to have something like this to remind you of how good you cook when you are not so tired!
Other Salad Ideas for the Summer Heat
- Salad Bowl OR Rice Bowl? Easy Dinner Recipe
Easy salad and Rice Bowl combo. Good after work recipe. Beautiful to serve.
- Fruit Salad Bowl OR Rice Bowl?
Fruit Salad Bowl with Rice. Easy fast after work dinner. Very pretty to serve.
- Salad New Mexico, Ensalada New Mexico
Salad with New Mexico ingredients.
- DIY Cobb Salad for a Potluck
A beautiful potluck dish suitable for the card club. This DIY Cobb Salad is delicious and healthy. The use of Bleu Cheese or Roquefort Cheese makes it particularly tasty.
More by this Author
Chili Soup Recipe. A hearty family pleasing meal. Midwestern USA in origin.
Pork Roast Clay Pot cooking recipe. Excellent Holiday entertaining meal.
First Thursdays at 6pm at Fairway Recreation Center, the Sun City Democratic Club. EVERY Monday at 9am at Starbucks (99th Ave & Bell) ACTIVE GROUP ON THE MOVE!!! Join us!