Summer Martinis: Lemon Drop and Raspberry Lemon
The traditional martini is great for a formal function when men are wearning tuxedos and women are adorned in evening gowns. James Bond preferred his shaken not stirred. The traditional martini is a drier affair with an air of sophistication and wealth about it. Summer martinis on the other hand shout fun and summer time relaxation and celebration with friends in an informal setting. The two summer martinis featured blend sweet and sour in a flavour burst that wows the taste buds. One taste and your friends will be inviting themselves back for more of the same. The preparation time is not excessive but the best flavour for these martinis comes from fresh lemons. Real lemon juice bought from the supermarket will make a delightful Lemon martini but the flavour is a tad more bitter and not as dramatically appealing to the taste buds. However, the extra time given to squeezing fresh lemon juice, with the almost 100% daily requirement of vitamin C, makes the taste experience so very more worth while for entertaining with guests. Save the Real Lemon experience for yourself when you want to whip up a quick batch. So, this summer always have on hand a bottle of vodka and a bottle of raspberry vodka and of course fresh lemons. Lemon drop and Raspberry Lemon Martinis will then only be a quick mix away!
Ingredients for the Summer MartiniClick thumbnail to view full-size
Ingredients for the Summer Martinis
- 6 medium lemons, juiced
- 4 Tbs quick dissolve sugar
- 6 mint leaves, fresh from garden preferable
- 4 1oz shots vodka
- ice, cubes or shaved
- 4 tsp large granule sugar, coloured or white
- cocktail shaker
- shot glass with measurements in ounces
- 4 1oz shots raspberry vodka
Making a Summer MartiniClick thumbnail to view full-size
Making the Lemon Drop Martini
- In order to rim the martini glass: dip mouth of martini glass in lemon juice then dip the mouth of the glass in the large granule sugar. Coloured sugar gives a more festive affect.
- Add ice to the cocktail shaker.
- Cut six lemons in half.
- Squeeze the juice into a cocktail shaker.
- Mix the lemon juice, sugar and vodka in a cocktail shaker.
- Shake well until the shaker feels cold.
- Pour into two sugar-rimmed martini glasses and garnish each glass with three mint leaves.
- A thin slice of lemon on the glass also looks appealing.
- Enjoy on the deck or patio while enjoying a beautiful summer day or evening.
- To make the RASPBERRY LEMONADE MARTINI, follow the above directions but instead of vodka, substitute with the raspberry vodka. Garnish with a skewer of raspberries or strawberries perched on the edge of the glass.
Nutritional Content of a Summer Martini
|Serving size: 1 martini|
|Calories from Fat||0|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 0 g|
|Saturated fat 0 g|
|Unsaturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 11 g||4%|
|Sugar 3 g|
|Fiber 1 g||4%|
|Protein 1 g||2%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Enjoy These Martinis!
A warm summer evening with a cool burst of pucker moderated by a delicious sweetness is a great way to enjoy the season. These martinis are so easy to make and require minimal ingredients. A cocktail shaker may be the only purchase you need to make if you are not a die hard cocktail fan. Once you try these simple recipes your taste buds will be primed and you'll be ready to experiment with the other spirits you have tucked away in your liquor cabinet. Enjoy these two recipes, experiment first making them for yourself and family and then wow your friends at your next garden party!
More by this Author
Cucumbers are an easy to grow vegetable thought to have originated in India. Their growth inhibits the growth of most weeds due to a substance they secrete. Cucumbers are a fantastic part of the human diet but they have...
Christmas is a time for celebration. Why not combine the sometimes arduous food preparation with special time with friends and or family while preparing a delicious treat to be enjoyed well into the holiday season....
Paper chromatography is a useful technique used to separate the components of a solution. Kids can learn some simple chemistry by watching or performing this process.