SPANISH POTATO RECIPES - TASTY & HEALTHY ALTERNATIVE TO FRIES
FED UP OF FRIES?
Help is at hand! With the following Spanish and Mediterranean recipes you will have a wealth of easy and cheap alternatives to chips. What's more they are healthy because they are all made with Olive Oil and no saturated fats whatsoever.
Don't let the Tapas chain franchises put you off trying these dishes by fooling you into thinking what they serve is authentic. In my experience they tend to use frozen roasted potatoes (such as Aunt Bessie's in UK) and simply throw a few spices and peppers or a pasteurised sauce at them. Not nice!
Patatas Bravas with Pork
Ingredients: 4 Servings
2 Large Potatoes
200 ml of passata or tomato puree
2 finely chopped garlic cloves
A pinch of cumin
A pinch of cayenne pepper
A teaspoon of paprika
A pinch of salt
3 Tablespoons of olive oil
1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar
11/2 Tablespoon of chopped coriander
A teaspoon of chili flakes
1. Peel the potatoes and cut into one inch cubes.
2. These will need frying for around 15 minutes, first on a lower heat and then for the last few minutes turn the heat up to crisp the edges.
3. To make the sauce add the passata, garlic, cumin, cayenne pepper, paprika and vinegar, (if you are feeling brave add a few chili flakes or some Tabasco for an extra kick), into a small bowl, and mix together.
4. Once the potato cubes are fried, drain them, pat with kitchen paper, then drizzle the sauce over the potatoes, sprinkle the coriander on top and serve with chicken or pork - also good with fish.
For an even healthier alternative, leave the skins on the potatoes.
Poor Man's Potatoes
PATATAS POBRES - PAPAS A LO POBRE - POOR MAN'S POTATOES
Ingredients: 4 Servings
2 Large Potatoes
1 Medium Green Pepper
1 Medium Spanish Onion
4 tbsp Good quality Olive Oil
Salt to taste
- Peel the potatoes and slice into thin rounds.
- Peel and slice the onion
- Deseed and slice the pepper.
- Heat the oil in a large heavy skillet or frying pan
- Gently sautee all the ingredients until soft and golden brown adding salt to taste.
- If you leave the potato mixture without turning for a while a delicious crust will form on the bottom
Serve with any cooked meat or fish. For a dish on it's own chorizo or cooked black pudding can be added at the end of cooking. The potatoes can also be parboiled to save cooking time. Also delicious with fried eggs.
1/2 kg. Potatoes
2 Tbsp olive oil
Peel the potatoes and slice thinly. Skins can be left on for a healthier alternative.Slice the onion finely and add to the potatoes. Fry potatoes and onions in a generous amount of oil over a low heat until soft. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs and pour into the skillet with the potatoes. Cook over a low heat until firm.
Use a big flat dish or a lid to turn the mixture over and allow to cook on the other side.
Serve warm or cold with a mixed salad or can used as an easy packed lunch eaten cold in a sandwich of crusty bread.
Spanish Roast Potatoes
Roasted Spanish Potatoes
In this recipe you simply roast potatoes in Spanish olive oil with garlic and spices.
Preparation: 10 minutes
Cooking: 60 minutes
- 600g roasting potatoes, peeled and cut into even pieces
- 3 tbsp Spanish Virgin olive oil
- 4 Cloves of Garlic - finely sliced
- 1 tsp cumin, ground
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- Potatoes: Preheat an oven to 200°C. Place the potatoes into an oven tray with the oil, spices and a generous pinch of salt. Toss them in the ingredients so that they are well coated. Place the potatoes in the centre of the oven and cook them for 60 minutes. Turning them at regular intervals until crisp and golden with soft insides.
Oven Baked New Potatoes with Garlic and Parsley
PATATAS CON AJO Y PEREJIL
POTATOES WITH GARLIC AND PARSLEY:
- Par boiled new potatoes with skins left on - allow a generous amount per person
- 3 tbsp Olive Oil - Good quality
- Generous quantity of dried wild garlic or 4 cloves of fresh finely sliced garlic
- Sea Salt to taste
- Fresh or dried parsley
Toss potatoes and other ingredients in oil then roast at Gas Mark 180% until softened and a nice golden brown. The skins will caramelise slightly making the potatoes deliciously chewy.
2 Large Potatoes
Half an onion
3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
2 cloves of Garlic
I cup of White Wine
Salt and pepper to taste
Chop the garlic and parsley finely. Slice the onion into julienne strips. Cut the potatoes into 3mm thick slices. Heat the oil and fry the potatoes gently for around 8 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Take the potatoes from the oil and drain them, resrving a little of the oil. Put the onion into an ovenproof dish, arrange the potatoes on top and pour over half of the white wine. Sprinkle over the chopped parsley and garlic and put in the oven for 10 minutes at 170 deg C. Remove from oven and pour over a the reserved olive oil and white wine then return to the oven for a further 10 minutes. Serve hot with fish or roast meats.
Parrillada de Patatas (Grilled potatoes)
2 medium sized potatoes
Good Quality Olive Oil
1 clove garlic (crushed or minced )
Cook the potatoes whole and unpeeled in water until firm but tender. Drain well and when cooled cut into thick slices. Brush with oil and place on a barbecue grill or griddle pan until brown, then turn over and do the other side. Meanwhile make the dressing by putting more olive oil into a jug, add the garlic and the grated rind and juice of a lemon. Drizzle this sauce over the browned potatoes and serve. Another way is to cut the whole potatoes in half lengthways and then follow the same cooking instructions, placing skin side down first . Serves 2.
© Susan Bailey 2009 All Rights Reserved
More by this Author
Self Sabotage is quite common; most people do it from time to time. However, some people almost make a career out of it. Self saboteurs will mess up by doing alcohol, drugs, participating in risky behaviour, disastrous...
Amaretto. Check out its history and discover some yummy recipes using this heavenly liqueur.
CD (Conduct Disorder) and ODD (Oppositional Defiant Disorder) are quite closely associated in classification and developmental terms. Oppositional Defiant Disorder behaviours are assumed to be precursors to a more...