The Hospitality Guru (cooking) Back to Basics: Kitchen Equipment
The selection of the right equipment for the job and the knowledge of how to use it allows your work in the kitchen to proceed comfortably and efficiently. Because there is such a large range of equipment avilalbe, it is useful to group them into three categories: utensils, mechanical equipment and large (fixed) equipment.
A Quick Quiz To Test Your Knowledge
1. Name the correct tool you would choose for:
- Turning potatoes
- Flipping pancakes
- Peeling carrots
- Slicing turnips
- Chopping onions
2. Name four ways in which knives can be stored safely?
3. Why is a bench top unsuitable to use as a cutting surface?
4. Write your own list of steps to follow when sharpening a knife with a steel or stone.
6. Make a list of safety precautions you should take when handling your knives?
More by this Author
CANAPÉS Purpose Canapés are small, bite sized pieced of food, which may be served hot or cold. They are normally served as an accompaniment to drinks before dinner or at a cocktail...
Types of Sandwiches Conventional This basic sandwich consists of two slices of buttered bread with any filling and seasoning, cut into various shapes. Crusts are generally left on, but can be...
The cutting of vegetables can be divided into two main categories. ROUGH CUTTING Rough cutting is the coarse cutting of foods, usually vegetables, which are generally not used for service. Rough cut...