TYPES OF GLASSWARE
GLASSWARE OR BEVERAGEWARE
Glassware includes goblets, tumblers, wine glasses and ordinary glasses. They give a certain sparkle to the appearance of the table. Technology has extended the varieties of glassware with plastic and paper. The wide use of plastic glasses and disposable paper cups reveals ready acceptance by the buying public. However glassware is preferred for its beauty and elegance. It is a must for formal settings.
TYPES OF GLASSWARE ACCORDING TO MATERIALS
1. Lead glass or crystal
This is the most expensive and most beautiful glass.
It has a brilliant luster and emits a clear, bell-like ring when tapped. Most crystals are handblown
2. Lime glass
Lime glass can be inexpensively produced and other popular glass dishes are made from it. It is most popular for daily use. It is usually molded or pressed and emits a dull sound when tapped.
3. Milk glass or borosilicate
This is a heat-resistant, milk-white or colored. It is durable, has little luster and sounds dull when tapped. Trade names include Pyrex, Glassbake and Fire King.
CARE AND USE OF GLASSWARE
1. Take hold of tumblers and small glasses by encircling them at the base with the thumb and the first two fingers.
2. Grasp a footed or stemmed water glass (goblets) at the base of the bowl between the thumb and the first two fingers.
3. Grasp wine glasses by the stem.
4. Handle pieces of glass individually when washing
5. Stand glasses with the head up to prevent chipping.
6. Avoid quick changes in temperature. Extreme heat causes glass to expand, extreme cold causes it to contract. When pouring hot water into glasses, leave a metal spoon inside to absorb the heat.
More by this Author
In the planning of meals, the following factors should be considered: 1. Nutritional adequacy — or the provision of palatable foods that are rich in essential nutrients. Nutrients needs of an individual are...
DINNERWARE OR CHINA WARE Dinnerware encompasses china, stoneware, pottery and plastic. The basic chinaware includes the luncheon plates, salad or dessert plates, bread and butter plates, soup bowls, cups, saucers and...
Read to learn about the characteristics of a partnerships type of business.
No comments yet.