Tarragon Chicken - Quick and Easy Dinner Idea
How To Make Tarragon Chicken
Tarragon Chicken is actually a French dish and is really called Poulet a l’Estragon. If that's too much of a mouthful, then just call it Tarragon Chicken! This is one of my favorite recipes to make for company because you can dress it up and make it elegant (use different kinds of chicken pieces) or just do it with chicken legs or thighs.
This recipe is a French recipe for chicken that I have used for 30+ years and got it in my old Betty Crocker International Cookbook. I recently made it for a Sunday dinner and it was a simple yet elegant dinner that I had almost forgotten about.
Serve this delicious dish over hot cooked noodles (I use yolkless) and perhaps with a green salad or a vegetable. I served it with asparagus and it was a wonderful Sunday dinner!
I also did not have dry white wine so I substituted Marsala wine and it was still delicious.
- 2-1/2 to 3 pounds of chicken (the recipe calls for a cut up chicken although I used all drumsticks since that was what I had. Next time may use boneless, skinless thighs or a combination of skinless drumsticks and thighs)
- 1 cup chicken broth (or other broth)
- 4 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 tablespoon of fresh tarragon (snipped) or 1 teaspoon dried tarragon leaves
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 ounces of mushrooms, sliced
- 3 stalks of celery, sliced
- 1 medium onion, sliced thinly
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup half and half (I substituted skim milk)
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 egg yolk
- Hot cooked noodles
- Heat the chicken, chicken broth, carrots and tarragon with salt, pepper and bay leaf in a 12-inch skillet to boiling (I used a sateuse pan - a large-bottomed soup pan with short sides basically). Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, celery and onion. Heat to boiling again, reduce the heat. Cover and simmer until chicken is done – about 15 minutes.
- Remove the chicken and vegetables with a slotted spoon and keep warm. Drain the liquid, strain and reserve 1 cup or so.
- Pour the reserved liquid back into the skillet. Add wine. Mix half and half and egg yolk until smooth and stir into the wine and liquid mixture in the skillet. Cook, stirring constantly until thickened.
- Serve with the chicken and over noodles.
Summing It Up
French cooking doesn't have to be difficult. Cooking a meal for company doesn't have to be spectacular. All that is needed in truth is good, palatable food cooked with love and served with relish - not the kind that goes on hot dogs!
Some of my simplest meals have been my best because they were simply 'comfort' type foods if you like but when getting together with family or friends, sometimes that is the best thing to offer. Keeping a meal simple allows the host or hostess to relax and remember the real reason for the meal - getting together.
- Chicken Parmesan - Cooking For 2
This is my own little version or tweak on the classic Italian dish but if you find that my version is too light, you can go back to the original and will add below what to do to get it back there. Really,...
- Chicken Soup With Orzo
As so often happens to me, necessity is usually the mother of invention. I was going to fire up a pot of chicken soup the other night after a rainy and cold blustery day and discovered that I was missing...
- Medicinal Benefits of Tarragon
Family: Sunflower family Plant: Height: 2 feet; leaves: long and narrow; flower; small yellow and black flowers. Tarragon is one of the commonly used herbs to flavor our food, but do you know that this...
- Smoked- Salmon Canapes with Tarragon
Just in time for St. Patrick's day Makes 24. 4 oz. bar cream cheese (reduced-fat) 1 tblsp. finely chopped fresh tarragon, plus some whole leaves for garnish later 1 tsp. grated lemon zest, plus 1 tsp. fresh...
- How to Grow Fresh Tarragon
Tarragon isn't one of the most commonly known kitchen herbs, but once you grow and use it in recipes, you'll probably be hooked! It's a great herb in soups, stews, and just about anywhere you want a peppery...
- Tarragon Chicken Soup with Onions
If you've got left over poultry from the holidays, don't let them go to waste just because your sick of the same meat over and over again. There's a lot of value in the bones and frame of the poultry that is...
- The health and aromatherapy properties of tarragon a...
Have you ever eaten a meal that contained lots of garlic? Its not exactly a breath- freshening experience. Did you know that chewing a bit of tarragon after a pungent dinner will sweeten your breath just as well as any commercial product? This is jus
- Chicken Casserole with Tarragon
This recipe also works well with guinea fowl and is one of my favourite casseroles. The fresh tarragon gives it a unique flavour and is highly fragrant during cooking! Ingredients;- 1 medium onion, cut...
More by this Author
Looking for a quick and easy recipe that's healthy and made from salmon? Look no further. Try this quick and easy salmon loaf with carrots. You'll make it over and over.
Looking for high fiber recipes? Or even recipes higher in fiber? This meatloaf is a wonderful way to increase fiber in your diet but do it painlessly. Even though it is high fiber, it is delicious. ...
In a tight economy, how much should you pay a pet sitter? It depends on many factors including what kind of pet, age of the pet, what the pet sitter has to do and even how far the pet sitter has to drive to take care...