Techniques in Cooking Dried Beans -
How To Cook Beans
Beans - kinds and variations
Beans is defined as any of various leguminous plants. Beans belong to the genus Phaseolus such as the "common bean plus the runner bean, and the related genus Vigna" of the family of pea. Examples of beans are : lima, pinto, soybeans, chickpeas, garbanzos and kidney beans. It is the the edible, smooth, kidney-shaped seed of any of these plants.
Beans can be be a "pod with such seeds, eaten as a vegetable when still unripe. It can be the bean-shaped seed of some other plants like coffee bean".
It is advisable to cook your own beans as they are economical and easily done, plus it contains less preservatives unlike the ones you bought in cans in the market
Preparing Beans for Cooking
After separating bad beans from the good ones you are now ready to soak the beans in water temperature. There are many ways to soak the beans
- First, you can store the beans in a ref for five hours or more or overnight covered it in a pot -- with water of course
- You can also boil the beans and then after it boil, you can set it aside and cover it for more than two hours or you can let it boil for five minutes then cover it and then set it aside, then it will be ready in two hours
- If you want beans and avoid flatulence then you can boil it, then cover it for the whole midnight to soak on the pot with the water you used for boiling
Health Benefits of Beans
- Essential Vitamin B, fiber, protein, and iron.
- It helps reduce cholesterol level
- It is a high fiber protein and is good for overall health
- High in carbohydrates but low in fat
- Rich in folate and Minberlas such as Potassium, Iron and Magnesium
Cleaning Dried beans
Cooking Dried Beans
Tips on How to Cook Dried Beans
- After soaking the dried beans put it in a stockpot then let it boil, the water should be three times the volume of the dried beans. After it boil down, reduce the heat and then simmer it until it is done. It should be uncovered while you are cooking it. You can test if it is already done when you can mash it with your fingertips.
- Add ingredients before the beans is just to be cooked say three minutes
- You can also put the cooked beans in cold water and rinse it if you are going to eat it later
- You can freeze the dried beans but if you are going to eat it now then you can serve it already without putting it in ref or rinsing in cold water.
- Don't put salt or other spices -- herbs and ingredients while it is cooking as it hardens more the beans.
- Don’t let the beans stand for three hours after you cooked it as it can become sour
- Don’t cover the beans while it is cooking, the cover will burst
- If the beans are too hard, add some baking soda to soften it
Other Ways to Cook Dried Beans
- Oven -- when you cooked beans in an oven, be sure that soaking is not overdone as this will make your beans mushy. Cover and bake it for three hours in medium temperature. Use earthenware bean pot not the metal ones.
- Crock pot -- This is a type of cooking where you use mild temperature then takes longer time. The first time you do this, you should bear in mind to know the perfect timing as it may become overcooked. Be sure that there is enough water on it. This takes about 8 hours of waiting for it to be cooked.
- Using pressure cooker-- When you cook beans, first step is to put some water into the pot with the beans on it.Be sure not to fill the pot with water three fourth of the pot." "Remember to check the pressure regulator which indicates the proper pressure-- then you can now lower the heat and start to time the pressure cooker".
Cooking Techniques HUBS
- Fish Grilling Techniques
Fish Grilling techniques. It is summertime, fun time, summer outdoor grilling is an activity we never fail to do, and grilling fish is a superb activity because fish is healthy and nutritious. In fact,...
- Grilled Home Style Brine Pork Barbecue
Grilled Home Style Brine Pork Barbecue Technique. It is summertime in the Western world and we are off to a hot summer. The sweltering heat of the sun makes for a dip at the swimming pool and a good barbecue...
- Techniques in Making Hot Chili Sauce
There are many chili hot sauce and many variants which are available in the local supermarkets from jalapenos, Heinz chili tomato sauce (not so chilly) and lots of South East Asian variants of hot chili...
- Techniques on How to Boil and Grill Corn on the Cob
Techniques on How to Boil and Grill Corn on the Cob. It is very easy to cook -- grill and boil corn and you can master it in simple steps. The basic of grilling and boiling the corn comes with a fresh corn to...
- List of Healthy Cooking Oils
Well, cooking oil which contains fat can be healthy too. Fat as a nutrient is needed by the body but should not be taken in excess amount because it is bad to the overall health. Excessive use of it is the...
More by this Author
Different Kinds of Leavening Agents. What are leavening agents or leaveners? Leavening agents are substances that are used in batters as well as doughs which are used to soften the dough and it is also used for...
Yes, even if you are single and living alone, you still need cooking appliances and cooking utensils, because you still eat (that's a given) and at times you can't go out because of the weather and you need to cook. The...
The Famous Quotes and Sayings of Irish Poet Oscar Wilde His Life and other Works Oscar Wilde was an Irish playwright, poet, short story writer, journalist who was born on October 16, 1854 in Dublin Ireland and...