Terrific Tomato, Roasted Pepper and Bean Salad by Austinstar
Terrific Tomato, Roasted Pepper and Bean Salad
Please choose from one to five stars...
Roasting Pimento Peppers
Buying the roasted pimento peppers in a jar is easy, but there is a way to roast your own peppers for this salad. This will really kick up the flavor, but it is time consuming.
Place the large whole red pimento pepper on the grill until it is charred and blistered. Turn frequently. Place the roasted pepper in a zip lock bag and let it stand for ten minutes or so to sweat. The skin will slide off and it can be discarded. Chop up the roasted pepper into bite sized pieces.
If you can't find a 'pimento' pepper, a large red bell pepper or two can be substituted.
How to make terrific tomato, roasted red pepper and bean salad.
- 1 large roasted red pimento pepper, chopped into bite sized pieces
- 1 medium sized can cannellini style butter beans
- 2 - 4 tablespoons chopped red onion
- 4 - 5 medium roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1 - 2 tablespoons capers
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh or dried parsley
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 - 2 tablespoons balsamic vineagar
- salt and pepper, to taste
How to make a cool summer salad!
- In a large container add the chopped tomatoes and onions.
- Roast, peel and chop the large pimento pepper or chop the canned or bottled pre-roasted pepper into bite sized pieces and add to the tomato and onion.
- Add the beans. I do not drain them, but you may prefer to drain and rinse them. If you really like these beans, add two cans!
- Add the capers.
- Add the parsley and other seasonings and stir well.
- In a separate container, mix the olive oil and balsamic vinegar and shake well. Pour over salad and stir to coat all ingredients with the dressing. Alternatively you can use your favorite dressing.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to serve.
So Much Flavor!
Roasted pimento peppers are delicious. The roasting process brings out the flavor of the pepper. It is not a hot pepper. Pimento peppers are mild, sweet and have great nutritional power. Paprika spice is made from dried pimento peppers.
Sometimes the pimento is spelled "pimiento" which is a Spanish word for pepper. These peppers are the familiar red insert for green olives or the pepper that is used to make pimento cheese. These red peppers are also called "cherry" peppers.
Roma tomatoes, or plum tomatoes, are firm and smooth skinned. One Roma tomato has only 35 calories which make tomatoes a huge bang for the calorie buck. These tomatoes are high in Vitamins A and C, have a gram of fiber each and are low in sodium and cholesterol.
Capers are edible flower buds from the caper bush also called Flinder's rose. A half cup of capers has only 23 calories. These flavorful buds are healthy and tasty.
Cannellini beans are very popular in Italy, especially in the Tuscany area. These beans are related to kidney beans and are low in fat, high in protein, high in fiber, minerals and B vitamins.
Red onions and purple onions are basically the same onion, so use whatever you have available.
Approximate nutrition value for Terrific Tomato Bean Salad
|Serving size: 1 cup|
|Calories from Fat||90|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 10 g||15%|
|Saturated fat 1 g||5%|
|Unsaturated fat 9 g|
|Carbohydrates 15 g||5%|
|Sugar 3 g|
|Fiber 4 g||16%|
|Protein 4 g||8%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
What kind of main dish goes well with this salad?
This salad is perfect for an outdoor barbecue. Since you will have the grill going, why not roast your own pimento peppers? This dish goes well with grilled burgers, steaks or chicken.
Veal Parmigiana or Chicken Piccata is also a main dish alternative for this salad. Any good cut of meat that is pan fried or roasted in the oven works. Since this salad has a lot of individual ingredients, it would be best to keep the main dish simple.
- French loaf
- Toasted garlic bread
- Sourdough bread loaf
- Ciabatta bread
- Iced tea, sweetened or unsweetened
- Simple cookies or brownies
- Bread pudding
Main dish meats for Terrific Tomato, Roasted Pepper and Bean salad.
Which meat do you think goes best with this salad?See results without voting
© 2012 Austinstar
More by this Author
Top 10 Best Texas Food Recipes and How to Cook Like a Texan. Chili, cornbread, beans, home fries, Chicken Fried Steak, spare ribs, brisket, frito pie, enchiladas and pecan pie.
Jalepenos stuffed with cheese and shrimp and wrapped with bacon then grilled and/or smoked are the most delicious thing you have ever eaten! Even people who don't like jalepenos love this appetizer that also doubles as...
Discover the methods and meanings behind criminal prison tattoos: An in-depth article exploring the various designs and their interpretations, with photos.