Thai Mango and Sticky Rice. Asia's Best Dessert, Easy to Make at Home!
Not This Kind
Often, the simplest desserts are the best. Luscious ripe yellow mango on coconut cream enriched and sweetened sticky rice. It's just perfect, and one taste of this national dessert of Thailand leaves most visitors hooked for life.
We didn't used to be able to get yellow Thai style mangoes in North America, (you are going to have to forget about food miles for a few minutes here) but these days supermarkets seem determined to stock these beauties and since the actual making of the dessert is such a cinch, there is no longer anything stopping you from enjoying this concoction at home.
Thai Style Mangoes and Sticky Rice (Khao Neow Mamuang)
- 2 cups of cooked sticky rice (it must be sticky rice – Jasmine rice won't work)
- 1 ¾ cups coconut cream
- ¾ of a cup of sugar
- 1/2 tsps of salt
- 3 large ripe yellow mangoes
- Stir the coconut cream, sugar and salt in a small pan over medium heat. Let boil and thicken slightly.
- Reserve 1/3 of a cup of the cream for serving, and mix the remainder in with the cooked sticky rice.
- Let the rice sit for a few minutes to fully absorb the cream.
- Open up the mangoes and cut into slices.
- Place a portion of rice on a plate, lay mango slices on top and reserved coconut cream on the top.
This is as good as it gets, and is eaten in Thailand primarily during the hot season – but if you can get the mangoes, this is great at any time of the year and is both the perfect end to a fiery Thai dinner, or a stand alone mid day snack.
One caveat though, and I speak from experience here – eating this regularly is quite possibly the quickest humanly possible pathway to weight gain.
- Tom Yum Kung
How about Thailand's famous spicy shrimp soup!
How to Cut a Mango (And have it look pretty...)
More by this Author
A simple Thai clear soup with pork meatballs. Recipe and instructions.
An aurthentic spicy Thai chicken soup recipe with detailed instructions.
Before the invention of oil thermometers, cooks figured out simple ways to check oil temperature for safe deep frying. Now those secret tricks can be yours!