Thai Stir Fried Asparagus with Shrimp. An Easy Thai Recipe
Thai food is a lot more than just curries or fiery soups. Here is a great recipe for stir fried asparagus and shrimp that actually doesn't have any chili at all. Perfect Thai food eating for spice-afraid individuals!
As with many Thai dishes, this tastes as though it would be hard to make, but it is actually a cinch, and can be prepared start to finish in about 10 minutes. (Start steaming your rice for dinner about 10 minutes before you start this dish)
Asparagus with Shrimp
- 1/2lb bunch of asparagus
- 8 medium shrimp, peeled and deveined (about 30 count)
- 3 Tbls of vegetable oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- ¼ cup of stock or water
- 1 ½ Tbls of oyster sauce
- 1 Tbls of soya sauce
- 2 tsps of fish sauce
- 1 tsp of sugar
Instructions Tips and Suggestions
- Cut the woody ends off of the asparagus and discard the. Cut the remaining stalk into 1 or 1 ½ inch slices.
- Heat the oil in a wok or heavy skillet over medium high. When the oil is hot, toss in the garlic and stir fry it for about 15 seconds, or until the garlic is good and fragrant.
- Immediately toss in the shrimp and asparagus and turn the heat up to high. Add in the stock or water (chicken stock works well here, as does vegetable stock. Miso stock would probably also work well.)
- Stir fry the vegetables until the asparagus is tender crisp and the shrimp is cooked. Medium asparagus spears will cook through in about 3 minutes, which should leave you with perfectly cooked shrimp as well.
- Add in the sauces and sugar, and taste for seasoning. In Thailand they would probably add in a pinch if MSG as well, so add that in at your discretion.
Serve as a part of a larger Thai dinner or alone with nicely fragrant Jasmine rice.
More Thai Recipes
- Easy Thai fried rice. Surprising and delicious, the ...
When I first came to Thailand, I always kind of snobbishly avoided fried rice…somehow thinking that it was only tourist food. Firstly…I know how lame that makes me sound, and secondly, was I...
- Crispy Thai style garlic fried fish
Thai style crispy fried garlic fish. Learn how easy it is to fry a whole fish with garlic for a Thai style dinner. Thai recipe and instructions, with tips and a video.
- Pad sieu...delicious Thai fried noodles. An easy and...
Although a lesser known and appreciated noodle dish than its cousin, pad Thai, fried noodle aficionados (of which I must boast I am one!) are equally fond of the humbly named pad sieu, or fried noodles in...
- How to Make Thai Sticky Rice at Home
Thai sticky rice, (called Khao Niew in Thai) is an essential and integral element of Thai cooing and cuisine, and is a must have accompaniment for certain dishes such as Laarb or Som Tam (papaya salad,...
How to Peel and Prepare Asparagus
More by this Author
Thai Stir Fried Shrimp with Basil recipe. A 10 minute classic. So easy, so good!
An aurthentic spicy Thai chicken soup recipe with detailed instructions.
Before the invention of oil thermometers, cooks figured out simple ways to check oil temperature for safe deep frying. Now those secret tricks can be yours!