Thai Style Golden Fried Fish with Spicy Mango Salad Recipe
Here’s a very easy Thai inspired golden fried fish dish with a side salad of tart and spicy green mango.
This dish, calls for mild tasting white fish and the sour and spicy salad that’s served alongside it cuts through the fish completely. This is not a fishy fish dish, it’s one that even seafood haters will love!
This technique may be new to you, but for this dish, the fish fillet slices are added straight to the hot oil with no breading or flouring. It sounds kind of strange, but it gives you very light tasting and golden brown chunks of fish.
Fried Fish with Spicy Mango Salad
- ¾ lb of a mild white fish, John dory, snapper, cod, halibut, tilapia, etc…any of these will work quite well – nothing too strong tasting or oily need apply!
- 1 and ½ cups of green (unripened) mango, cut into julienned strips – it needs to be sour and firm.
- 1 Tbls of fish sauce
- 2 Tbls of white sugar (palm sugar will shine here if you can get it, but if not, white sugar is fine)
- 1 tsp of salt, plus a bit more
- 1 Tbls of water
- ½ cup of cashew nuts
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 4 or 5 shallots, finely chopped (or about 1/3 cup of finely chopped red onion
- 1 Tbls of freshly squeezed lime juice
- 5 Thai bird chilies (use less if you don’t care for spicy food)
- Vegetable oil for shallow frying
- Cut the fish into 2 inch pieces and sprinkle each piece with salt
- Mix together all of the sauce ingredients (the water, the chili, the garlic, the fish sauce, lime juice, sugar the shallots or red onions and the salt) Taste for seasoning and add more salt, sugar, chili or lime juice as needed.
- Heat enough oil over medium in a heavy high sided skillet so that the fish can be submerged completely – about an inch and a half should be lots. (If you’ve got a deep fry thermometer, let the let the oil come to 360 f.)
- Using paper towels, pat the fish dry, and then drop it in the oil and let it fry until very golden brown on all sides and cooked through – about 4 minutes or so.
- Arrange the mango in a pile in the center of a serving plate and place the pieces of fish alongside the mango. Pour the sauce over the mango slices, sprinkle the cashew nuts on top and serve.
More Thai Salads
- Spicy Thai Tuna Salad. Yum Tuna is Such an Easy 10 M...
Thai style spicy tuna fish salad recipe. An easy 10 minute recipe for Thai Yum tuna. A great light lunch!
- How to Make Larb Moo. Spicy Thai Ground Pork Salad
A great quick and easy Isaan Larb recipe. Thailand's famous spicy pork salad.
- How to Make Larb Gai. Thai Spicy Chicken Salad (Food...
It's easy to make an authentic Thai larb gai at home - here's how!
More by this Author
A simple Thai clear soup with pork meatballs. Recipe and instructions.
An aurthentic spicy Thai chicken soup recipe with detailed instructions.
Before the invention of oil thermometers, cooks figured out simple ways to check oil temperature for safe deep frying. Now those secret tricks can be yours!