Thai beef salad with noodles
This recipe is ideal for the hot summer months when you want to eat something light, tasty and refreshing.
So quick and easy to make, this recipe is also very versatile as you can substitute shredded, cooked chicken or griddled prawns/shrimp for the beef if you prefer, vary the salad ingredients depending on what you have available and, of course, you could use other types of noodles if you prefer.
However, the coriander/cilantro and the dressing is what gives the salad the authentic Thai taste - blending sweet, sour, salty, bitter and hot flavours together - so are essential for making this recipe work!
- 125 grammes medium rice noodles
- 250 grammes rump or sirloin steak
- 1 small shallot, finely sliced
- 4-5 spring onions, sliced
- 1 medium carrot, cut into fine sticks
- 2-3 radishes, finely sliced
- 250 grammes cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cucumber, halved,de-seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 handful fresh baby spinach leaves
- 1 handful fresh coriander/cilantro leaves, roughly torn
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 red chilli, de-seeded and finely sliced or half a teaspoon of crushed dried chilliess
- 1 handful peanuts
- Put the noodles into a large heat-proof bowl, cover them with plenty of boiling water. Leave to soak for 5 minutes and then drain well and set aside.
- Heat a griddle pan or large, heavy bottomed frying pan until it is very hot, brush the steak on both sides with cooking oil and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side or until cooked to your taste. Remove from the heat and cover loosely with foil so that the steak remains warm and the juices settle.
- To make the dressing - in a bowl, combine the fish sauce, lime juice, chillies and sugar and mix well until the sugar has dissolved
- Crush the peanuts roughly so that they stay nice and chunky. Quickly stir fry them without oil in a hot frying pan with a sprinkling of sugar and salt so that they become golden brown and lightly caramelised.
- Combine all of the salad ingredients in a bowl and mix gently with half of the dressing mix until the vegetables are well coated. Place the noodles and vegetables on a plate or serving bowl, place the steak, very thinly sliced, on top. Drizzle over the rest of the dressing mix and finally sprinkle over the crunchy peanut topping - enjoy!
|Calories from Fat||450|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 50 g||77%|
|Saturated fat 9 g||45%|
|Unsaturated fat 13 g|
|Carbohydrates 99 g||33%|
|Sugar 13 g|
|Fiber 13 g||52%|
|Protein 63 g||126%|
|Cholesterol 111 mg||37%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
More by this Author
Nottingham is a wonderful English city known as the 'Queen of the Midlands'set right in the heart of England. It is vibrant and full of character with historic buildings, wonderful shopping and lively bars &...