Thanksgiving Recipe: Baked Golden Topped Turkey And Hampie
Do you like this recipe?
For this coming Thankgiving dinner, I will be preparing a different style of turkey recipe, Baked Golden Topped Turkey & Hampie.
There is a wide choice of meat to choose for preparing Thanksgiving dinner; lamb, beef, seafood, chicken, pork and turkey.
Turkey Substitute ?
- Although turkey is the main ingredient during Thanksgiving, most people prefer to cook either chicken or beef depending on which meat is available in the market.
- Frankly speaking, turkey and chicken are both excellent choices for Thanksgiving dinner.
- Chicken meat cooks easily than turkey but the latter taste better.
- Beef may take a longer time to cook and it is wise to pound the tendons before cooking. Otherwise your guest will have a hard time to chew them off.
- However, I prefer to use the traditional turkey as it is low in fat but high in protein, an excellent diet for weight watchers.
Don't Panic. Here's Your Cooked Turkey
How much is enough?
When you are preparing turkey, remember to remove the skin and excess fats as they are high in fat content.
This Golden topped Turkey and Hampie requires 240g of cooked turkey which means each person could consume at least 60g of turkey, sufficient if you are watching your weight.
This turkey dish is simply easy to prepare and easy to please your family members appetite.
I am sure this turkey meal will give you less workload, nutritious meal for the whole family and mouth-watering dish at first sight.
Here is my Turkey
Chopped cooked ham
Conversion ml to pint / quart
1 (ml) = 0.00105669 quart (USA)
100ml = 0.105669 quart (USA )
1 ml = 0.00211338 pint (UK )
100ml = 0.211338 pint (UK
- 720g potatoes
- 4 tsp margarine
- 60g plain flour
- 300ml skimmed milk
- 300ml chicken stock
- 240g cooked turkey, cut into chunks
- 90g cooked ham, chopped
- 90g canned sweet corn, discard water
- 2 tsp fresh/dried parsely, chopped
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 sprig fresh parsley, to garnish
Method to cook :
- Peel off potatoes skin. Cook potatoes in a pot of boiling water until tender for 15 minutes. Drain and cool.
- Preheat oven to 200C or 400F
- Meanwhile, melt 3 tsp of margarine in a medium size saucepan.
- Add the flour, stirring to blend.
- Cook gently for 1 minute.
- Gradually, add in 300ml skimmed milk and then stir in the chicken stock.
- Heat up, keep stirring until the sauce boils and thickens.
- Add the turkey, ham, sweetcorn and parsley to the sauce.
- Season with salt and pepper.
Why I bought Pyrex brand?
1. China made dish will crack if you put into an microwave oven and has foul odor. Hence, I chose Pyrex, a well known culinary brand for shallow dish, fit for microwave oven .
2. I like the see through dish so that I could watch the turkey / chicken meat turn color, whether any liquid overflows.
3. It has thick lid, not heavy and well fitted to the dish, not excess vapor escape from the dish.
- Grease a shallow oven proof dish with the remaining teaspoon of margarine.
- Pour in the turkey and ham sauce.
- Slice the cooked potatoes and arrange over the top.
- Beat the egg and remaining 2 tbsp of milk together and brush over the surface of the potatoes to glaze them.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until the potatoes are golden brown.
- Serve sprinkled with a little chopped fresh parsley.
Coversion: Gram to pound/ ounce
1 kilogram = 1000 grams
1 pound = 16 ounces
Medium potato: 2 to 3" in diameter, 5-8oz (140-225g)
1 ounce = 28.3495231 grams
1 stone = 14 pounds
Large potato: 3 to 4.25" in diameter, 8-12oz (225-340g)
1 pound = 453.592 grams
1 medium potato =5.3 oz (150g)
1 stone = 6.35029318 kilograms
1 large potato =8oz (225g)
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||162|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 18 g||28%|
|Saturated fat 5 g||25%|
|Sugar 2 g|
|Fiber 1 g||4%|
|Protein 11 g||22%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 662 mg||28%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
More Interesting Recipes To Read:
- 5 Mouth Watering Salad Recipes You Can't Resist
Easy healthy healthy salad recipes for low cholesterol diet and weight watchers. Easy to prepare, delicious and perfect for lunch or midnight snack. Try these healthy lunch recipe for a change
- Lamb Stew Recipe: Easy Irish Stew Recipe from Martha Stewart
Celebrate St.Patrick's Day with easy Irish Stew from Martha Stewart. It is the easiest stew recipe I had every cooked. Just put everything inside the pot and simmer for 2 hours. Hearty and awesome.
- Easy Easter Dinner Recipes-Roast Pork, Lamb and Chicken
Looking for a quick and easy dinner for this coming Easter? In this article, you will find delicious meat dishes that use the roasting method to ease your trouble. There are lamb, pork and chicken.
- Easy Romantic Recipe For Two: Seafood Tom Yam Spaghetti
Looking for a simple spaghetti recipe for a romantic dinner for two? Try this Seafood Tom Yam Spaghetti, a simple romantic dinner recipe for two person which is healthy and easy to cook in 30minutes
Easy Way To Cook A Turkey
© 2013 peachy
More by this Author
Mustard green is one of the most green leafy vegetable in Asian countries. Mustard green is cheap, easy to purchase and quick to cook at the shortest time. You can choose to stir fry with garlic and ginger, which is the...
Searching for quick dinner recipes in less than 30 minutes? Try these 4 quick and easy fish recipes for tonight's dinner. Less ingredients required and quick to cook without messing up your kitchen
Here are some wonderful birthday quotes, wishes, funny wishes and simple verses for you to choose to write in your birthday card. Be choosy. Choose the suitable ones for this special person. Most of these messages are...