The Best Apple Crisp Ever
The Best Apple Crisp
This simple recipe is so good that when my mom asked me what kind of cake I wanted for my 5th birthday, I promptly replied "Apple Crisp!" And I've had a Birthday Crisp every year since.
The best part about this recipe (besides it's simplicity) is that because it has apples and oatmeal in it, you can eat it for breakfast the next morning and not feel a bit guilty!
The only negatives I can find are that Apple Crisp doesn't hold candles up as well when you make Birthday Crisp and it never seems to last as long as cake (maybe that's because everyone eats it twice a day...)
If you like apple pie but want something that is far less work, this recipe is also for you. No crust to make!
- 4-5 medium apples, peeled and sliced into wedges
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup oatmeal
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup butter
- vanilla ice cream, optional
- Peel and cut up apples into thin wedges and spread in a layer in a 9x9 pan. (Or double the recipe and make in a 9/13)
- Lightly sprinkle the apple slices with cinnamon. (You may sprinkle 2 Tablespoons of flour over apples if they are very juicy).
- Melt the butter in a medium-sized mixing bowl.
- Mix with brown sugar, oatmeal, flour, baking soda, and baking powder.
- Sprinkle/crumble topping over layer of apples.
- Bake for 30-45 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream if desired. CAREFUL: Apple Crisp will be very hot and the apples hold the heat. Allow pan to cool before serving - when Apple Crisp is warm, not scalding.
Notes About Apple Selection
When selecting the type of apples to use in your apple crisp you want to consider the flavor of the apple and also how well it will bake - some apples keep their shape while others become more mushy. I've listed a few of my favorite apples to use with this recipe below. Try out your favorite apples to find your perfect Apple Crisp.
Granny Smith - Good all-purpose baking apples. Crisp and sour. You can sprinkle some sugar over the apples before putting the topping on if you want to sweeten them up a bit. These break down but are so good for the tartness.
Golden Delicious - Sweet and mellow. One of the best all-around cooking apples.
Jonathan - My personal favorite. Tart and rich.
Try different apples and find your favorite!!
More by this Author
- 1Scholarships and Loan Repayment Options for Physicians, Physician Assistants, Nurse Practitioners, Certified Nurse Midwi
Are you a medical professions student looking for a scholarship or loan repayment program to help pay off your school debt? Check out this list of resources - both federal and state.
Spanish for a medical professionals. This hub includes some of the most useful phrases and commands in Spanish in order to do a basic physical exam.
If you haven't yet tried Evernote, now is the time. This review will show you how to keep organized class notes using this wonderful (and Free!) program.