The Best French Onion Soup With Just Four Ingredients
French onion soup is an American favorite, although I am sure we have gummed it up in translation. This is my version of the soup, that is well without all of the extra cheese and croutons on top. I would suggest making some garlic cheese french bread as an accompaniment.
I do not guarantee a timely recipe, however this one is worth the time and effort.
- 8-10 onions yellow or white onions, chopped (if 10, use 2 sweet)
- 4 tsp. salted butter or margarine
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4-6 tsp. salt, (depending on taste)
- Cut onion in big half slices and mince garlic gloves.
- Heat butter in pan and add onions and garlic. Cook for 5-7 minutes, browned and carmelized onions.
- Fill pot with hot water.
- Reduce to no liquid, brown again. Scrape bottom of pot and re-fill with hot water.
- Repeat process 3 and 4, 4-5 times. Cooking heat should be 8-10 (medium high to high.)
- Last reduction should go to about half the pot. Color should be dark brown. Take care not to burn, it will ruin the flavor. Add salt to taste when color and flavor is achieved in multiple reductions.
|Serving size: 6|
|Calories from Fat||36|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 4 g||6%|
|Carbohydrates 25 g||8%|
|Fiber 6 g||24%|
|Protein 1 g||2%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
More by this Author
5 great ways to use one of the staples in your pantry for quick meal idea
Here is the answer to the age old question. Below are five recipes and meal plans for a week of dinners accompanied by a small grocery list to create them; all under 30 dollars. The amount of food is plenty for 2-4...
A quick and easy cheesecake recipe that takes only a few minutes to prepare with a pre-made graham cracker crust. Everyone will love this!