Light And Healthy Oatmeal Cookies: How To Make Fantastic Oatmeal Cookies
Reduced Fat Oatmeal Cookies Makes 24
I think these are the best light recipe I've discovered for oatmeal cookies! I found this recipe in the wonderful cookbook I would review as definitely The Best Light Recipe by cooks.com. However, I changed my recipe up a bit in that I like using dried cranberries as I love the flavor of oatmeal and cranberry mixed. Also, you can substitute walnuts for half of the cranberries for an even greater flavor mix! These are great freezer cookies and are still chewy when thawed.
NOTE: In order for the cookies to bake properly, it is important to cook 1 tray at a time!
- Cal 90
- Fat 2.5 g
- Sat fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 15 mg
- Carb 16 g
- Protein 1 g
- Fiber 1 g
- Sodium 30 mg
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats (quick oats may be substituted)
- 3/4 cup (3-3/4 ounces) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 large egg (or 1/4 cup egg substitute)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup packed (7 ounces) dark brown sugar (or light brown sugar)
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries (raisins or dried cherries may be substituted) or 1/4 cup cranberries 1/4 cup walnuts mixed
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Whisk oats, flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt together in medium bowl; set aside.
- In large bowl, whisk butter, egg and vanilla together.
- Stir in the brown sugar until smooth, smearing any remaining clumps of sugar against the side of the bowl with rubber spatula.
- Stir in the oat mixture and raisins (or substitute) until thoroughly combined.
- Working with a level tablespoon of dough each time, roll the dough into 1-inch balls. (If the dough is too soft to roll, refrigerate it until firm)
- Place the balls on the prepared baking sheets spacing them about 2-1/2 inches apart (12 cookies on each baking sheet)
- Bake the cookies, 1 tray at a time until the edges are light golden and centers are just set (11-13 minutes), rotating the tray halfway through baking. (Do not overbake)
- Cool cookies on the baking sheets for 5 minutes, then serve warm or transfer to wire rack and cool completely.
- Bake the second tray while the first tray cools.
- Many recipes call for fruit puree (applesauce, banana, etc) which as a fat substitute makes for a different textured cookie
- Egg whites produce no flavor in oatmeal cookies and can give a dry cakey crumb
- Light cream cheese makes a cookie that is thin and crispy and sometimes will give an artificial aftertaste.
- Parchment paper can be found in the grocery section with aluminum foil and reduces calories - you do not have to use grease or sprays of any kind - it is virtually nonstick.
- These cookies are excellent to freeze. I like to always have a batch (or 2) on hand!
Other The Best Light Recipe Cookie Recipes
Some Other Hubs
- Christmas Cookies And Candies - Biscotti
Another addition to Christmas cookies and candy offerings that can be part of a gift basket, a stand-alone gift in a pretty gift bag or tin, or a yummy addition to any get-together. Biscotti is...
- Quick and Easy Huevos Rancheros - Audrey Style
INGREDIENTS: Tortilla chips/multi-grain tortilla chips/flour tortilla chips/crispy tortilla pieces 1 can pinto beans (substitute black beans/kidney beans/any kind of beans) Shredded or torn red leaf...
- The Best Light Recipe - Fluffy Buttermilk Biscuits
The Best Light Recipe cookbook from Cook's Illustrated has done it again! I have tried biscuit recipes from every source and this is by far my favorite. It is a bit unconventional but well worth the...
- Quick and Easy Individual Buttermilk Pound Cakes
This is a super easy, wonderfully versatile pound cake recipe because you can make 5 individual cakes and either give as gifts, freeze, or serve each one with a different topping. These freeze extremely well....
- Sour Cream Oatmeal Muffins
These muffins are super moist and never dry out as some muffins can. Try them and then try the variations below. The sour cream gives them their moisture and baking them at 325 degrees also helps make these...
More by this Author
Caramel corn isn't that hard to make. In fact, it's very simple and oh so delicious. Try it and you'll be hooked and never buy store bought caramel corn again.
Easy to make and just the right size - mini cheesecakes. Step by step how to make mini cheesecakes.
EMDR (eye movement desensitization and reprogramming) therapy is useful in treating many anxiety and panic disorders. Learn how to self-administer this therapy anytime and anyplace.