The Best Mushroom Soup Recipe
One of my favorite cooking ingredients is mushrooms. I love mushrooms on pizza, in omelets, in salad, or just by themselves. A while back I decided to find a good mushroom soup recipe. Most of the recipes I could find were for cream of mushroom soup, which is not what I was looking for. I did find several recipes that looked interesting so I tried them, but none of them was exactly what I wanted. So I decided to come up with my own recipe.
This mushroom soup recipe is a combination of several different recipes I found. The first time I made this recipe I was surprised by two things. First, I was surprised by how expensive it was. The recipe calls for both shitake and porcini mushrooms, which can be a little pricey. Second, I was surprised by the small amount of soup the recipe yielded.
The first time I made this soup was for Mother’s day. I normally try out a recipe first before preparing it for quests. I was confident this soup would be good the first time I made it, so I decided to make it for the Mothers in my family. I invited my Mother-in-Law and my Mother over for lunch with my wife and I on Mother’s Day. I served the soup as the first course and everyone really liked it. The problem was I almost didn’t have enough soup for everyone. I thought two pounds of fresh mushrooms plus one ounce of dried mushrooms would be a lot of soup. I ended up with only four bowls of soup. Fortunately, it was just enough.
1. Soak the dried mushrooms in water according to package directions.
2. In a large pot heat the olive oil over medium heat. Saute the garlic and onions for about 5 minutes.
3. Add all the mushrooms and cook for about 10 minutes.
4. Add the chicken stock and simmer for about 30 minutes.
5. Add the salt and pepper. If you are using canned chicken stock, be sure you taste the soup before you add salt. Some canned chicken stocks are very high in sodium, so you may not need to add any salt.
6. Use an immersion blender to puree the soup until smooth.
More by this Author
This vanilla mousse recipe is creamy and delicious. This recipe does not use raw eggs like many other recipes do because consuming raw eggs can be dangerous. Frequently, eggs are found to be contaminated with...
Learn how to make great dirt cake!
In the Dallas Cowboys 50 year history they have had some excellent wide receivers. Bob Hayes and Michael Irvin are hall of famers and Drew Pearson is deserving of the same honor. I believe that players...