How to Make Good Pizza From Scratch
Isn't making homemade pizza hard work?
Making homemade pizza from scratch is certainly worth the effort. To successfully make a great homemade pizza, it is especially important to use good quality ingredients, and to take your time in the preparation.
The following recipes: "The Best Pizza Sauce Recipe" and "The Best Pizza Crust Recipes" have been tried, tested and adapted in my kitchen at home. They go hand in hand to create the absolute very best pizza that I have ever tasted.
Experiment with different toppings to create your own perfect pizza. My favorites are:-
- Grilled Chicken, Red Onion and Yellow Pepper, sprinkled with Fresh Cilantro
- Ham and Fresh Pineapple
Ingredients for 2 Pizzas
1 (6 ounce) Can Tomato Paste
1 1/2 Cups Water
1/3 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 Cloves Garlic, Minced
Salt to Taste
Ground Black Pepper to Taste
1/2 Tbsp Dried Oregano
1/4 Tbsp Dried Basil
The Best Pizza Sauce Recipe
Make the Pizza Sauce ahead of time to allow all the flavors to blend; allow at least 2 hours or make the day before if possible.
- Whisk together the tomato paste, water, and olive oil.
- Add garlic, salt and pepper to taste, oregano, and basil.
- Mix well and let stand in the fridge until needed.
- No cooking necessary, just spread on the dough!
Ingredients For 2 Pizzas
For The Yeast Mixture
1 Package of Dry Yeast
¼ Cup Warm Water (100 Degrees F)
1 Tsp Sugar
3 Cups All Purpose Flour
2 Tsp Salt
1/4 Cup Sugar
1 Tbsp Cornmeal
1 Cup Warm Milk (100 degrees F)
¼ Cup Warm Water (100 degrees F)
1 Tbsp Melted Butter
The Best Pizza Crust Recipe
- Activate the yeast by adding ¼ Cup Warm Water (100 Degrees F) and stirring in 1 teaspoon of sugar.
- Set aside and leave for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, mix together the dry ingredients.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the wet ingredients, together with the activated yeast mixture.
- Stir until well mixed, incorporating all the dry ingredients.
- Cover the bowl with a clean towel and set aside for about 1 hour, allowing the dough to rise.
- Empty dough out onto a clean, floured surface.
- Knead by hand 6-8 times; it may be necessary to add additional flour (less is better) to the surface to keep dough from sticking.
- Divide the dough in half; this recipe will make enough dough for 2 thin crust pizza bases. Store any unused dough in the fridge or freezer.
Assembling Your Pizza
- Sit a pizza stone in the center of the oven and preheat to 420 degrees F.
- Roll out the required dough very thinly, sprinkle some flour and cornmeal onto a pizza paddle to prevent the dough from sticking, and then carefully transfer it onto the pizza paddle.
- Gently fold in the edges of the dough, about ½ inch. (This will create a nice puffy edge and help prevent the toppings from falling off when you put it in the oven!)
- Lightly spread on some of "The Best Pizza Sauce", followed by chopped fresh basil, sliced mozzarella cheese and fresh toppings of your choice. Try chopped ham with fresh pineapple, or grilled chicken with red onion and yellow peppers.
- A great way to make the edges more interesting and flavorful is to brush with olive oil and then sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Give the paddle a gentle shake to make sure that the dough is not sticking to the board. When ready, open the oven door and quickly (and carefully) slide it onto the pizza stone.
- Bake for approximately 13-14 minutes.
- When the pizza is ready, transfer it to a wire rack to help cool it down. This will also keep the base of the pizza nice and crispy.
- Drizzle with a little olive oil, or sprinkle over some fresh cilantro for a great finishing touch.
More by this Author
Looking for pork tenderloin recipes, tips and cooking techniques? Find out how to choose a pork tenderloin marinade and cook it to a safe temperature. Plus recipes suggestions for baking, grilling and stuffing a pork...
A store-bought rotisserie chicken is a budget-friendly and delicious idea when it comes to feeding you and your family. If you're looking for some quick and creative ways to use a rotisserie chicken, then here are some...
Learn how to easily identify and fix problems with your bathtub drain stopper. Avoid paying expensive service fees to call out a plumber! Follow these instructions to find out how to unclog a bathtub drain or, if...