The Best Produce and U-Pick Farms In Ohio
Fresh Farm Vegetables In Ohio
Ohio has a long history of produce farms, U-Pick farm venues, and home gardeners that have supplied produce to small grocers and large supermarkets. In the 2010s, grocery chains such as Giant Eagle and Marc's have become more vocal in letting the public know that their produce is largely home grown in Ohio.
Hartville and Urbana Ohio are centers of family farms that serve the large supermarket chains in Ohio and regionally, but they also have their own farm markets for visitors. Below are some of the best farms and U-Pick venues in the state. Some operate as late as November each year.
Giant Eagle's Favorite Farms
Giant Eagle's Favorite Farm Areas
Szalay's Farm in Peninsula, OH
Brenckle's Farms [used by both Giant Eagle and Marc's], K. W. Zellers & Son, and Ohman's Farm
Three V's Farm
Tye Brinager and Son
Brenckle's Farms - Hartville OH
This farm is the only one in Ohio that provides produce to both Giant Eagle and Marc's grocery stores. I shop at Marc's every week and love their tomatoes.
The Brenckle company bills itself as a leader in heirloom crops like tomatoes and peppers, which do not need new seeds every year. No GMO involved.
Some of the delicious and tasty heirloom tomatoes grown at these farms are the black heirlooms. Brenckle's works annually to produce the best varieties of heirloom produce in Ohio. One key to the success of the produce at this farm is the use of the indigenous black muck soil, which is finer and richer than the usual farming soil.
OSU Extension service personnel advise me that the black muck is great for raising celery, greens, herbs, lettuces, peppers, and radishes. In fact, radishes at Brenckle's are often ready within 18 days of planting!
- 12434 Duquette Ave NE; Hartville, OH,44632
- Phone: 330-877-4426
Brenckle Farm - A Good Day Trip From Cleveland or Pittsburgh
Hartville, Ohio Attractions
Hartville is a picturesque village in Stark County that hosts many visitor's attractions, among them the produce farms that service large grocery chains and provide farmer's market stalls in nearby Al
- Amish Furniture of Ohio: Hartville Marketplace; 1289 Edison Street, NW; The North End - #250; Hartville, OH 44632
- Downtown Hartville Sidewalk Sale/Flea Market - Mid-August, annually.
- Downtown Summer Nights: Musical and small festivals weekly, including a Circus Night.
- Hartville Marketplace & Flea Market: Besides a large numb er of indoor and outdoor vendors, this venue includes a number of dining options and a farmer's market. Special events occur often throughout the year and include a cruise-in classic car show in August, antique shows, motorcycle gatherings, charity events, arts festivals, multicultural dance revues, holiday celebrations, and additional events. Many products sold in the facilities are Made In America.
- Hartville Pie Factory and Restaurant: On the National Register of Historic Places; operations closed for renovation.
- Maize Valley Market and Winery: Large market space, farmer's market and nearby winery with tours. Over 50 different items grown or Made In Ohio.
- Quail Hollow State Park: A 40-room mansion is surrounded by evergreen and deciduous forests, professional landscaping, and a variety of gardens that include an herb garden. Activities include camping, cross country skiing in winter, hiking, educational walks, and others.
Other Great U-Pick Farms in Ohio
A giant collection of U-Pick farms operate in Northern Ohio. You will find corn mazes, pumpkin farms, and Christmas tree farms here as well.
Marc's Groceries Farm Preferences
Michael Farms, Urbana.
Michael Farms - Urbana OH
- 5089 Urbana Moorefield Rd.; Urbana, OH 43078
- Phone: (937) 484-3573
In addition to Brenckle's Farm, Michael Farms in Urbana near Springfield, Ohio is the farm servicing a larges number of farm markets and grocery stores in the state. Michael's provides foods to Marc's and Meijer Stores, a very large chain.
This farm operation uses more land acreage than others, at 3,000 acres. it is the largest vegetable farm in Ohio. Crops include cabbage, potatoes, snap beans, and sweet corn. Their own farm market on the land is open regular business hours Monday through Saturday during the growing season, more days and hours than other farm markets across the state. Tomatoes and lettuces, melons and squash come from other farmers around Ohio. The foods at Michael's stays within a 200-mile radius of Urbana and much of it travels only 100 miles or less.
- American Vegetable Grower’s National Grower Achievement Award in 2003
- Champaign County Farm Family of the Year
- EPA Environmental Stewardship Award
- Buck Creek State Park - Located between Urbana and Springfield, not far from the Dayton - Fairborn arm of the Ohio Space Corridor and Wright Patterson AFB with its National USAF Museum. The museum's huge fourth building was completed during 3rd Quarter 2015. Go and see the JFK Air Force One now without using a special bus!
- Cedar Bog Nature Preserve - Dozens of activities and special events like Boo In the Bog, a Skunk Cabbage Walk, and many other fun things to do.
- Downtown Farmers Market
- Fishing on the Mad River
- Kiser Lake State Park
- Ohio Fish and Shrimp Festival - Annually on the third weekend of September. Arts, live bands of several genres, farmer's market, shrimp peel-and-eat contest, and locally produced fish and freshwater shrimp.
- Piatt Castles - The 100th Anniversary of Mac-A-Cheek Castle is 2015. Located in Logan County, Ohio; this popular attraction is southeast of the state capital, Columbus. Mac-A-Cheek Castle on the grounds gives free admission to all armed forces veterans.
- Urbana University
Best U-Pick Farms In Greater Central Ohio
Best Farm Markets In Central Ohio
Visit Central Ohio U-Pick Centers
If you are traveling any where near Delaware, Newark, Logan County, and the Dayton-Fairbrn-Spingfield Metro Area, stop at our favorite Ohio farm markets. It's where are largest grocery stores find their best locally grown produce.
Nosnikta 3 Fruit Farm - North of Springfield and Fairborn
- Apples, apricots, nectarines, peaches, plums, walnuts,other
- 2360 North Hampton Road, New Carlisle, OH
- Phone: 937-882-8046
Stratford Ecological Center
- Tomatoes, peppers, beans, peas, edible flowers, other
- 3083 Liberty Road, Delaware, OH, 43015
- Phone: 740-363-2548
- Apples, peaches, pumpkins, strawberries, honey, apple cider.
- 11335 Reynolds Road, Utica, OH 43080
- Phone: 740-892-3832
Matt's U-Pick Fresh Fruits & Vegetables
- 8155 Landis Road, Amanda, OH 43102
- Phone: 740-969-4159
Blueberry Bill Family Farm
- Fruits, honey, and fresh eggs.
- 23038 Gessling Rd, Glenmont, OH 44628
- Phone: 740-599-5050
Schacht Family Farm - This is one of my favorites, not far from Brice Road in Columbus.
- LARGE VARIETY: beans, peas, peppers, pumpkins, strawberries, tomatoes, other vegetables, pumpkin patch-pick in the field, other.
- 5950 Shannon Road, Canal Winchester, OH 43110
- Phone: (614) 833-1932
Jacquemin Farms - Plain City, Amish Country - Another of my favorites.
- Largest variety of fruits and vegetables available.
- 7437 Hyland Croy Rd.Plain City, OH 43064
- Phone: (614) 873-5725
When to Pick Fruits and Vegetables in Ohio
Ohio Vegtetables and Peak Harvests
July 5 - August 15
July 20 - September 30
July 15 - October 31
July 20 - September 30
June 20 - July 20
June 25 - September 1
July 10 - September 15
Ohio Fruits and Peak Harvests
September 1 - October 25
August 25 - September 20
Peaches and Nectarines
July 20 - September 1
August 1 - September 30
August 10 - August 31
© 2012 Patty Inglish
More by this Author
Easter or Resurrection is the biggest holiday of the year among my Polish friends. Their traditions and recipes for traditional foods vary by region of the country they or their ancestors called home, but all are good.
London's Thames Sailing Barges provided the pattern for sustainble shipment of local farmers' products from Lake Champlain down the Lower Hudson to Manhattan. Pop up markets thrive yearly since 2013.
I have learned much from my Polish American friends about the important of Easter in their culture, friendships, families, and faith. Please enjoy the recipes and information.