The Five Basic Wine Regions of Australia
Australian Wine Regions
Australia is an important area for wine, with Shiraz and Semillon, as well as good Rieslings, imporant classic varieties. Cabernet and Chardonnay also do well here. There are many regions are located mainly in one location, the southern most area of the country. The southern tip of the Western side is also a great region. Here are the five basic regions of wine growing in Australia, with a little bit about great productive growing areas. The list is not inclusive as there are many to choose from, but three different wine regions are listed for each area.
- Adelaide Hills & Plains. The Adelaide Hills are in the Mt. Lofty Ranges, with the Plains area being just north.
- Barossa Valley is an important area for Australian winery.
- Clare Valley is located north of Adelaide, and known for Reisling.
New South Wales
- Hunter Valley area is noted for its Shiraz and Semillon.
- Mudgee is located NW of Sydney, Australia.
- Upper Hunter Valley has lots of whites.
Tasmania - Located all by itself, the island is south of Australia, and it has a climate all its own. Tasmania wine region includes King Island and Flinders Island. To the right is the Tasman Sea, to the left is the Indian Ocean, and separating Australia and Tasmania is the Bass Strait. Tasmania wine region produces Chardonnay and Riesling, as well as Pinot Noir.
- Heathcote area produces Shiraz.
- Great Western is known for its sparkling wines, among others.
- Pyrenees is located in central Victoria
Western Australia - This area is a very small area, compared to the rest of the wine growing regions of the country.
- The Great Southern area is a nice, cool area for growing wine.
- Margaret River is a temperate region, and is located south of Perth.
- Swan Valley is a hot region, but is an old, historic area for wine making.
More by this Author
Biscuits are supposed to be light, fluffy, moist and at times either rich, savory or sweet. If biscuits are tough and heavy, then a few things could be the problem. Here are some reasons why biscuits may be tough or...
A matignon is a little-referred to term for an important part of cooking. It is a combination of vegetables and other flavorful ingredients (bacon and ham are two popular additions), and can be used as an ingredient or...
Have a rhinestone design kit and lost the instructions? Or perhaps received one second-hand or as a hand-me-down? Here are basic instructions on how to use it, how to change the plungers, and how to identify the size of...
No comments yet.