The Ice Cream World
Everyone loves ice cream. We all know ice cream as a frozen dessert. Ice cream is usually made from dairy products, like: milk and cream. Ice cream often combined with fruit or other ingredients and various flavors. Most ice cream Ice cream contains sugar and some are made with other sweeteners. Ice cream is good to be consumed at noon, especially on a hot day. Ice cream is good to be enjoyed a few hours after dinner or right before we go to bed, depending on the day. Most people agree if ice cream is a good snack to eat while watching TV. There has been a lot of controversy about what time of day is the best time to eat calories. Some say, as long as you’re eating your ice cream the right way you will do just fine and fun. Try eating it either in the morning or early afternoon while you are active if we are planning on making ice cream a daily treat. Or if we have a chance to consume this in the evening, try enjoying it after a good workout.
The benefits of eating ice cream
Many of us may not know that ice cream that we eat has a benefit for our health. Most of people may believe that eating ice cream will gain more weight. Ice cream is actually rich with calcium. As we know that calcium is good for our health since it can build up and help our bones in the body. Calcium is also good for pushing fat into the bloodstream where it is more likely to be burned up. Ice cream can help lower risks of disease such as colon cancer, high blood pressure, kidney stones and even keep the weight off. It’s good to lose and maintain weight. We can get all the benefits by consume dairy products in our diet. This can help us get rid of unwanted fat and keep them off.
The term of “ice cream” varies from one country to another. Such as: frozen yogurt, frozen custard, gelato, sorbet, etc. Better if we know the history of ice cream. I’ll describe below. Just keep on reading…..
The history of Ice cream
There are many version of the beginning of food which was then popular with the name of “Ice Cream”. The Roman Emperor Nero (37–68) who ordered to make a meal of snow on the mountaintops, served with fresh fruit on it. Another reference mentions that an ice cream brought from China to Europe by King Tang of Shang (618-97 BC). They found a method of the making ice and milk ingredients. As time passes, ice cream recipes developed into a luxury dish that can be eaten by the families of the fashionable Italian and French Royal Family. Marco Polo was believed brought the ice cream recipe to mainland of Europe and America. A number of American legends also served ice cream to their guests. Such as: George Washington, Thomas Jefferson and Dolly Madison, also Governor Bladen of Maryland in 1700.
Fact about ice cream:
- Major breakthrough in the ice cream manufacture into basic ingredients that we know today, occurs when a mixture of ice mixed with salt. This method is useful to decrease, while controlling the temperature of ingredients. This breakthrough was strengthened by the discovery of the freezer which is made of wooden bucket with a pedal player.
- Ice cream scoop to take the ice cream into the containers was found by Alfred L. Cralle on February 2, 1897.
- Conello ice cream was found and popular the world since 1904.
- Nancy Johnson, a woman from New England making a manual ice cream maker in 1846. In 1848, her invention was later patented by William G. Young as the "Johnson Patent Ice-Cream Freezer ".
- Augustus Jackson, A candy maker from Philadelphia found the recipe and method of making ice cream in 1832.
- The first ice cream parlor opened in New York City, in 1776.
- Americans consume an ice cream on average about 15-20 liters per person per year.
- In America, ice cream is the most popular desserts especially when added with the biscuits.
- As much as 800,000 gallons of ice cream were produced by Americans each year.
- In 1812, ice cream was created into a variety of flavors, and it was presented in the White House at the first time as a dessert.
- The modern freezers to preserving cream found by Clarence Vogt in 1926.
- Haagen-Dazs was founded by Reuben Mattus in 1960. He chose the name because it sounded "Danish".
- World’s top ten ice cream consumer, based on consumption per capita (2000). 1. Australia (13.7 litres) 2. USA (13.7 litres) 3. New Zealand (13.3 litres) 4. Sweden (11.7 litres) 5. Ireland (10.2 litres) 6. Denmark(9.3 litres) 7. Israel (9.3 litres) 8. Canada (9.1 litres) 9. Finland (8.5 litres) 10. Norway (8.4 litres)
Gelato itself is the Italian word for ice cream and sorbet. Gelato like an ice cream which is made with cream, milk, various sugars, flavoring including fresh fruit and also nut purees. There’s little bit differences between ice cream and gelato. Ice cream can contain as much as 50 percent air, but Gelato contains about 25 to 30 percent air. Where ice cream is typically served frozen, gelato is typically served at a slightly warmer temperature. So, it's not quite completely frozen but still delicious. The good news is you can find a little bit fat in gelato. Gelato is flavored with fresh fruit purees, cocoa, small confections, chocolate flakes, cookies, or biscuits. Another Gelato which is made with fresh fruit, sugar, and water and without dairy ingredients is called sorbet.
It’s the “real” ice cream from Turkish. Dondurma usually made from milk, sugar, salep, and mastic. It is believed came from the Turkish region of Kahramanmaraş. Dondurma is also known as Maraş Ice Cream. We can easily find this ice cream from the street vendor's carts. Vendors often tease the customer with his stick before giving the ice cream cone to the customer. He rotates his stick while making a joke, even the cone suddenly disappeared. This is the main attractions from the vendor. But, how about the taste of Dondurma? the taste was so smooth and creamy, but not too sweet. The most popular flavor in Turkey is plain. The original taste came from the goat milk. From the statistical data shows that the average rate of ice cream consumption in Turkey was 2.8 liters per person per year in 2010.
Matcha (Green Tea) Ice Cream
Green tea ice cream is a very popular ice cream flavor in Japan and other parts of East Asia. Matcha itself comes from a specific type of green tea used in the Japanese tea ceremony, called “chado” or “The Way of Tea”. Matcha is bright green in color and is made by finely grinding a very high quality tea called Gyokuro (pronounced gil-KUR-oh).
Kulfi, Indian Ice cream
Kulfi is a popular ice cream from the Indian Subcontinent. We can find this ice cream throughout neighboring countries in South Asia, Burma (Myanmar), and even the Middle East. With the outer appearance like an ice cream, but it is denser and creamier. There are various flavors, such as: raspberry, rose, mango, cardamom, saffron, pistachio and modern flavors like orange, apple, strawberry, peanut, and avocado. I heard that kulfi takes a longer time to melt than Western ice-cream.
Es puter, Indonesian Ice cream
Es puter is a traditional ice cream made by coconut milk, salt and various flavors, such as: strawberry, chocolate, durian, melon. We can enjoy this ice cream together with pudding or chocolate chips as topping.
Weird Ice Cream Flavors
Chocolate, strawberry, vanilla, mango, are the common name of ice cream flavors. But you can see other weird flavors of ice cream in Japan. Please enjoy the pictures below.
Chicken Wing Ice Cream
Beef Tongue Ice Cream
Indian Curry Ice Cream
Octopus Ice Cream
The world biggest ice cream cake
Have you ever seen the biggest ice cream cake? 8.7 ton ice cream cake in Beijing was recorded in Guinness Book of Records as biggest ice cream cake in world. From the pictures we can see Chinese workers were seen celebrating their achievement after they broke the world record in January 16, 2006. This ice cream cake has 4.8 meters long, 3 meters wide and 1 meter high.
The Golden Opulence Sundae. The world's expensive ice cream
The Golden Opulence Sundae is the most expensive ice cream in the world. Just imagine, it cost $ 1000 for only a glass of ice cream. We can find this menu at Serendipity restaurant, famous eating places in New York. The Golden Opulence Sundae contains five large spoon Tahitian vanilla beans plus several "fruit candies" from Paris.
This ice cream was decorated with pure 23 carat gold leaves. It also completed with Marzipan cherry which is surrounded by Amedei Porceleana, a world's most expensive chocolate. Then, a huge chunk of rare Chuao chocolate crowned with a glass bowl of Grand Passion Caviar beer. This ice cream is served in glasses made of crystal and 18 carat gold spoon. With the topping made by a golden sugar flowers from Ron Ben-Israel. Serendipity has reported that they could sell this ice cream each month.
Chocolate Ice cream
- 5 egg yolks
- 500ml milk
- 250ml double or heavy cream,
- 50g sugar
- 150g milk chocolate, cut into small squares
- Create a custard base, remove the saucepan from the heat, and then carefully drop in the squares of real chocolate.
- Stir well until melt and then leave the custard to cool. Next step is chill the custard until it's really cold.
- Once chilled, and then mix until slushy.
- Add the cream and make sure it mixes in well.
- Put the mixture in an ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions.
You can also read:
More by this Author
From the 60 countries which have winter season. Only several countries have beautiful scenery when the snow comes.
The first time I never thought that Russia has many beautiful tourism places to visit. Russia is a country which stretches along Eastern Europe and northern Asia.
In non-banana growing countries like the west, or non-tropical countries in the northern hemisphere of Asia, the banana is an imported food item consisting of only one type