Pickle Juice and Its Many Uses
Okay you've finished that last pickle and are about to dump the juice down the drain, and either save the jar or throw it away. STOP! Don't dispose or do anything until you read all the great things you can do with the pickle juice. Yes this wonderful pickle juice can be reused in recipes and more.
Frugal Uses For Leftover Pickle Juice
- Do you like Caesars or Bloody Mary's? Put the pickle juice into ice cube trays and freeze. Instead of using plain old regular ice cubes next time you whip up a Bloody Mary or Caesar, use pickled ice cubes for a little bit of a zippier taste.
- Out of vinegar for that marinade? Grab some pickle juice.
- Use it next time you're making a homemade salad dressing.
- I really like pickled beets and hate to pay the price of them because I go threw so many of them. I cook fresh beets and use the left over pickle juice for the beets.
- I've heard that in Texas they make snow cones with pickle juice.
- Do you like dill pickle potato chips but only have plain on hand? Put the potato chips in a bowl and spritz with the pickle juice.
- Pickle juice can be used to add flavor and moisture to potato salad, egg salad, macaroni salad, tuna salad, coleslaw and used in onion dip as well.
- Peel and slice some cucumbers and add them to the pickle juice. Leave for them sitting in the juice for a few hours and serve as a condiment with any meal.
- Asparagus spears are very tasty in pickle juice. Simply blanch them and add them right to the jar. Let them sit for a day before eating.
- Let's not forget pickled eggs. Hard boil eggs, peel and add to the pickle jar with juice.
Ingredients in Pickle Juice
- Vinegar is the main ingredient in pickle juice.
- Vitamin C
- Calcium Chloride
Is Pickle Juice Healthy?
The Philadelphia Eagles said that they drink pickle juice to avoid leg cramps. There's actually a drink called Pickle Juice Sport, that apparently has more electrolytes in it than Gatorade or Powerade. The way in which this works is: When you exercise and sweat your body loses salt, which are electrolytes, thus causing cramping in the muscles. By drinking pickle juice, Gatorade or Powerade, you're replenishing the body of needed electrolytes. Because pickle juice is high in salt content a healthy person should not drink more than two ounces of this at one time and it should be diluted with water.
Some people have thought that pickle juice can aide in getting rid of a stomach ache or bacteria in the stomach. This is a myth, as the ingredients in pickle juice will not kill the bacteria in the stomach.
It's always best to check with your health care profession first before drinking pickle juice.
Please note that pickle juice has been know to cause Acid Reflux also known as Heartburn.
Do You Reuse Your Pickle JuiceSee results without voting
Recipes for Pickle Juice
- Make Relish and Pickled Cabbage Using Left Over Pickle Juice!
Pickle juice recipes. Make relish and pickled cabbage from pickle juice. Use up your pickle juice, don't throw it away!
Make Your Own Pickles
Bottled Brine Water
More by this Author
In this easy to follow recipe I've added other ingredients to Zatarain's Jambalaya mix to make it go further and feed more people. Pictures included with recipe.
Got the munchies? Try these Nachos made with potato chips and bacon. Serve this tasty snack the next time you have the gang over for a visit or as an appetizer at your next casual dinner party or for Super Bowl Sunday.
Find out how to correct biting, chewing jumping, rough play, begging, barking and digging when your dog has behavioral problems.