The Omega Diets
Omega-3 fatty acids play a crucial role in our body system. It helps our body form cell membranes that are intended for our brain. It also helps our body take care of blood clotting. With that being said, it is of utmost importance that we make sure to consume adequate amount of the Omega-3 fatty acids within every single day. In addition to that, in accordance with the results generated from quite a few studies, these particular fatty acids are also particularly useful for:
- Liver cancer. It has been found out that these fatty acids are very effective for either keeping people away from liver cancer or even for treating those that are already suffering from it.
- Dementia. These fatty acids can also be found on fatty fish. In this case, it helps prevent the development of “silent” brain lesions which are often known to have the potential of triggering dementia as well as memory loss.
- Depression. The DHA contained in the Omega-3 fatty acids is known to have the capability of decreasing the depression symptoms. The possible reason for this is said to be the increase of the brain’s gray matter because of the DHA.
- Cardiovascular disease. Clinical as well as epidemiologic experiments have both resulted in the discovery showing that these particular fatty acids are capable of reducing the population levels of atherosclerotic plaque (known as triglyceride levels) in addition to reducing potential arrhythmias. These acids are also pretty effective when it comes to lowering people’s blood pressure.
Omega-3 comes in 3 types which are docosahexaenoic acid – DHA for short, eicosapentaenoic acid – EPA for short and alpha-linolenic acid – ALA for short. It is often best to obtain these acids from fatty fish that often includes sardines, mackerel, salmon, anchovies and herring. The oil supplements from fish living under the cold water are often pretty useful as well. Then, taking into accounts how they are grown and processed, lake trout along with albacore or canned tuna may also come in pretty handy.
Even though it has been mentioned that there are 3 types of Omega-3 fatty acids, American diets normally contain only the ALA type. In America, it is not hard at all to find ALA in such foods as walnuts, flax seed oil and flax seeds. There are some people out there whose body is capable of transforming ALA into DHA and EPA. However, it is recommended to consume either the fatty fish or the oil supplements that come with them to make sure that they receive adequate nutrition because not everyone out there has a body that can do such a transformation. Nonetheless, everyone should consume ALA at the very least.
There are also some people out there that do not really like to eat seafood because they fear the toxins that may possibly be contained in them. However, according to the experts, consuming the fatty fish from the cold water in just 2 servings a week is already more than enough to overcome the possible risk of getting poisoned by the toxins.
How to pick the Omega-3 supplements
To do so, keep these things in mind:
- Consume a capsule with no more than 500 mg of these fatty acids within a day. Consuming more is useless at all. In fact, it can even make people’s health worse. It is also recommended by the AHA (American Heart Association) that people take up 1 to 3 grams of DHA as well as EPA a day. Yet, for those suffering from particular health conditions, they may take up more but only with the prescriptions from a professional medical practitioner.
- Pick the supplements that do not contain mercury. The supplements should also be distilled molecularly and has a pharmaceutical grade. One rule of thumb is to look for supplements that have an EPA:DHA ratio of 3:2.
- See if it is expired!
The ratio of Omega-6 to Omega-3
These are both crucial fats that the body is not capable of producing and thus needed to be obtained from other sources. It is important to keep these fats balanced in the body. Omega-6 prevents people from experiencing any infections while at the same time helps the body to get over sicknesses more quickly. Omega-3, in comparison, deactivates the response from inflammations should they no longer be required.
Unfortunately, for the few last decades in the western, the ratio of Omega-6 to Omega-3 is no longer balanced. What actually takes place is that they take up too much Omega-6 yet too little Omega-3. As a result, they are quite exposed to diseases such as cancer, depression, heart disease and also inflammatory conditions.
Some things to do to help balance the Omega fats ratio in the body
- Do not consume vegetable oils such as safflower or corn oil.
- Get rid of foods that are processed highly.
- Eat less meat as well as other dairy products.
- Eat more foods with Omega-3.
© 2011 Richie Setiawan. All rights reserved worldwide.
More by this Author
The technology of 3-dimensional (3D) image is now becoming the latest trend in the world of TVs and monitors alike. It seems that the 3D technology is offering something that is entirely new that people have never...
High heels have always been a particular attraction to most, if not all, women in this world. High heels can often add to the self-confidence of women. Not only do high heels make them look more stylish or fashionable,...
The way your CV is written may determine whether you will not get that dream job or not!
No comments yet.