The Perfect Gooey Egg Sandwich
Healthy Fast Food at Home
a Flexible Sandwich
An egg sandwich is a quick, easy and nutritious way to start the day. It doesn't have to be complicated or have any extra ingredients but if you do have some goodies calling out from your fridge to be used, adding them to a sandwich is a great way to fill them with extra flavour.
I like layering the bottom with veggies like spinach, avocado, asparagus, tomato or sprouts, depending on what I have. Proteins can be cooked ham, turkey, chicken, bacon.
My favorite to use when I can get it, is sliced peameal bacon. Peameal bacon is back bacon, that has been brined and coated in fine cornmeal, as opposed to smoked. A tasty treat, it's the only pork product I eat, and it's very lean.
As far as the platform for the sandwich, anything will do; English muffins, toast, hamburger buns or as in this recipe bagels. Be aware that if cooked to the proper gooey state; there will be a mess that comes with eating this delightful mound of edible delicacies.
The type of cheese you use is up to you. I use motzerella for the effectiveness of the stringy gooeyness of the cheese and egg combination for my kid. I also use goat's brie, white cheddar, Swiss and even blue cheese depending on my mood and ingredients on hand needing to be eaten up.
Peameal Bacon, a Lean Treat
- 1 bagel
- 1 egg
- 2 slices peameal or regular bacon
- 2 slices motzerella cheese
Rate this Recipe
- Heat the frying pan and when hot put in peameal bacon or your choice of meat, and cook it up. Cut the bagel in half and toast it.
- Move the bacon to the side in the frying pan, and crack an egg into the other side. As the egg sets place slices of cheese over the top of the egg. Cover the pan and cook on low just enough to melt the cheese.
- Butter your bagel, I use Ghee. Place the bacon on top of the bottom bagel. Next place the egg with the melted cheese over the bacon. This is where my hubbie adds hot sauce, so if you want it hotter here's the opportunity!
- Place the bagel top as a lid over the entire pile of gooey goodness. When you slice it in half yolk will ooze out as a wonderful dipping sauce for this simply easy and nutritious sandwich that any one can make quickly and cheaply.
$1 and 15 Minutes
Too many times we think it'll be faster and cheaper to grab a bite on the run from a fast food place instead of making it ourselves, well that's not often the case. So next time you're on the fly and think you don't have time remember; for less than $1 and 15 minutes of your time, you can make yourself you or your kids a quick healthy meal that will give them good energy to burn away.
Here's hoping this recipe might come to mind next time you think you just don't have time...
copyright © eye say 2012
More by this Author
Cysts are a very popular medical problem, here's an article featuring what my cyst looked like on the outside and inside!
a simple recipe for delicious cookies ...
After a perforated bowel, 15 + obstructions, several surgeries and complications, it's time to share what I've learned. Yes I am now bowel obsessed.